Stacy L. La Scala, Esq. has experience resolving construction disputes arising out of a wide array of commercial projects, including hotels, mixed-use residential/commercial buildings, railroads, infrastructure, schools, medical facilities, and pipelines. He has experience mediating matters involving breach of contract, business-loss, fraud, deficiency, and delay issues, as well as nearly all aspects of insurance coverage for construction projects.
Prior to becoming a full-time neutral in 2011, Mr. La Scala litigated insurance, construction, and business cases on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants. He commenced his legal career with the representation of developers, architects, engineers, and subcontractors in complex multi-party construction proceedings. He later served as a national litigation director for a large property casualty carrier, handling numerous matters throughout the country.
- $18.6 million resolution of mixed-use commercial/residential multi-building construction defect, breach of contract, and contractor lien dispute. Matter included ten ancillary suits—including bad faith, contribution, and subrogation actions
- Commercial business interruption dispute stemming from multi-building hotel construction deficiency claim, loss of use, and impact on goodwill of business
- Railroad bridge collapse involving national contractor, transit district, and local association of government entities
- Public entity action—against builder, tier 1, and tier 2 subcontractors—involving $100 million defect and business-loss claims
- Case involving custom glass panel wall system on university parking structure
- Breach of contract, fraud, and misrepresentation suit related to cost-plus construction agreement on multi-million-dollar renovation project
- Four-story, 80-unit hotel construction deficiency suit, including significant loss of use claims
- Medical building construction action, including claims that HVAC and plumbing contaminated operating room
- Structural engineering suit involving deficient load calculations for mid-rise apartment complex and professional liability policy carrier
- Public works project—involving municipal water district, local government agencies, engineers, contractors, and suppliers—over recycled water pipeline and asphalt concrete overlay
- Delay damage/change order claim against community college district involving HVAC design and installation in multiple academic buildings