Lester J. Levy, Esq. has served as a full time neutral for more than 20 years. Renowned as a mediator, arbitrator, settlement master/ombudsman, and special master/referee for complex matters that span a wide variety of areas of law, Mr. Levy uses his legal, analytical, and conciliation skills to craft the best possible resolution of each case. Known for his ability to quickly identify key issues and to recalibrate dynamics between the parties, Mr. Levy is called upon to assist clients with their most difficult matters, often when prior efforts have proven unsuccessful. As an arbitrator, he is known for his willingness to make difficult decision based on the facts and law of each case and conducts his arbitrations efficiently, with authority and respect.
Mr. Levy was one of few arbitrators nationwide to be selected as Neutral Allocator by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. He currently serves as Chief Adjudicator/Arbitrator, Black Farmers Cases, Native American Cases, and Women and Latino American Cases against the U.S. Department of Agriculture, for civil rights violations relating to the provision of low interest loans and emergency benefits to minority farmers throughout the United States, and designed, implemented, and oversaw the adjudication of more than 50,000 individual claims within these mass actions based on substantive and evidentiary requirements set by federal district judge in consent decree, awarding more than $2 billion in relief.
- Arbitrated claims against financial investment advisors regarding allegations of fraudulent solicitations, over-concentration in certain securities, churning, and price manipulation
- Arbitrated contract dispute over sale of energy consulting business by a U.S. company to a French corporation; issues included valuation of earn-out provisions and sufficiency of employee performance post-sale
- Arbitrated numerous contract disputes including long-term lease and option to purchase commercial real estate, sale of businesses, breach of purchase, and sale agreements
- Arbitrated several hundred awards to seriously injured claimants resulting from 13-day airborne environmental release of a chemical catalyst used in the refining of gasoline products; claimants compensated according to medical diagnoses, severity of injuries, and proximity to release
- Arbitrated various insurance appraisal proceedings involving replacement cost valuation of real and personal property destroyed by fire, earthquake, and flooding, and valuation of unique objects including wine, fine art, antiques, and classic automobiles
- Special Master, allocated settlement proceeds and a number of apartments to class of displaced tenants in low-to-moderate income housing in connection with a municipal redevelopment plan
- Appointed to preside over stipulated trial of insurance coverage claims under various professional liability policies in coordinated medical malpractice action by 105 claimants regarding whether claims were covered losses under terms of the relevant policies and available coverage limits
- Arbitrated gender discrimination, pay and hostile environment claims brought by two female employees against a manager and insurance sales company
- Arbitrated multiple appeals from settlement of a national class action alleging defective wooden deck sealant
- Hearing Officer, arbitrated propriety of public utility’s decision to discontinue service to industrial customer that repeatedly exceeded regulatory environmental discharge limits
- Arbitrated attorneys’ fees payable under loadstar analysis related to $500 million life insurance class action settlement
- Arbitrated motor vehicle accident cases to determine and/or allocate fault and compensation for personal injuries
- Arbitrated cases involving the allocation of costs of investigation and remediation to numerous PRPs at CERCLA environmental sites under Gore Factors