Judge Levie has extensive experience as an arbitrator in single and tripartite cases in a variety of subject matter areas. He has served as the panel chair in numerous cases and also as a party-appointed neutral in tripartite cases.
As an arbitrator, Judge Levie works closely with the parties to develop a case management plan that, taking into account the uniqueness of each dispute, results in an efficient, cost-effective, and expeditious way to conduct the arbitration. Using his many years of litigation and judicial experience, Judge Levie has developed a reputation as an arbitrator who promptly decides discovery and dispositive motions and renders well-reasoned awards.
In addition to his arbitration and mediation work, Judge Levie has served as special master for discovery and privilege in a number of cases, including a criminal case. From 2000 to 2004, he was the special master for discovery, privilege, and case management purposes in the case U.S. v. Philip Morris et al. where he supervised a team of three attorneys and issued over 200 reports and recommendations.
- Contract interpretation/application:
- Served as a party-appointed neutral in matter involving challenge to proffered settlement agreement
- Served as arbitrator in cases involving interpretation of law firm and other professional partnership agreements
- Served as an arbitrator in several cases involving franchise agreements
- Served as arbitrator and panel chair in nine cases involving allegations of gender discrimination in the securities industry arising from settlement of a class action
- Served as arbitrator in twenty-two cases involving allegations of equal credit discrimination arising from settlement of a class action
- Served as arbitrator in case alleging violations of FMLA and ERISA
- Served as arbitrator in gender discrimination case
- Employment: served as arbitrator in cases involving employment in housing-related businesses, wrongful termination and discrimination
- Fair Labor Standards Act: served as arbitrator in case alleging retaliatory wrongful discharge violation of the FLSA
- Financial institutions: arbitrated a contract dispute involving tens of millions of dollars between two large, national financial institutions
- Government Contracts: served as a party-appointed neutral in a large government contracts case
- Healthcare: neutral on a panel of arbitrators on a multi-million dollar contract dispute between two large health care providers; arbitrated contractual disputes between physicians and healthcare facilities
- Personal injury: arbitrated 25 cases involving various forms and causes of personal injuries and death
- Retail Credit Transactions: served as arbitrator in cases involving alleged violations of federal and state laws in the automotive and banking fields
- Technology: neutral on a panel of arbitrators dealing with a contract dispute over the provision of technological services
- Transportation: served as panel chair in contract disputes involving transportation matters where the relief sought was valued at hundreds of millions of dollars and equipment