In his career as a litigator, trial judge, mediator and arbitrator, Judge Levie has gained vast experience in the handling of employment, workplace and discrimination matters under a variety of federal, state, and local statutes. In the large number of cases Judge Levie has handled, the matters involved allegations of: wrongful termination; discrimination based upon race, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation; hostile work environment; retaliation; ADA; SOX; whistleblower and sexual harassment in the workplace. Some of these cases involved issues of executive compensation, benefits, FLSA and FLMA issues.
In his work as a neutral, Judge Levie draws on his professional experiences, ability to relate to people, sensitivity, and creativity, and tenacity. When mediating, he works exhaustively with parties and counsel to reach a resolution. As an arbitrator, Judge Levie consults with counsel to develop a comprehensive case management order that is appropriate to the particular dispute. He then guides proceedings in an efficient, expeditious, and cost-efficient manner toward hearing and decision.
Expanding on existing skills, Judge Levie has participated in specialized JAMS training in Title IX matters at educational institutions including application of current federal guidelines, consideration of proposed federal guidelines, working within existing institutional frameworks, and matters particularly pertinent to Title IX matters (incident intake/assessment, role of trauma, consent, alcohol and drugs, relationship violence, stalking, cross complaints, adjudication, appeals, sanctions).
Representative Employment Matters
- Served as an arbitrator in cases involving allegations of gender discrimination in the securities industry arising from a class action settlement; in several of those cases, Judge Levie served as the chairperson of a tripartite panel
- Served as an arbitrator in cases involving allegations of equal credit discrimination arising from the settlement of a class action
- Arbitrated termination cases involving allegations of violations of the employment contract, FMLA, and ERISA
- Arbitrated and mediated alleged whistleblower actions under Sarbanes-Oxley Act
- Arbitrated termination cases based upon sexual harassment in the workplace
- Mediated consolidated claims of race discrimination against a quasi-governmental agency
- Mediated dispute between employees and government agencies relating to promotion issues and working condition complaints
- Mediated claims of age and racial discrimination between employees and officers on one side and corporations and retail businesses on the other side
- Mediated age discrimination claims by several employees in separate cases against large national firm
- Mediated sexual harassment claims between a partner and a law firm
- Mediated sexual harassment claim between multiple employees and a large multi-national consulting firm
- Served as Monitor in class action settlement involving female financial advisors