During his 15 year tenure as an Associate Judge of the D.C. Superior Court, Judge Levie handled family law cases and worked with parties to resolve family cases assigned to his colleagues on the bench.
As a mediator in family law cases, Judge Levie draws on his professional experiences as a litigator and judge, his ability to relate to and communicate with people, creativity and tenacity to work with parties in often highly contentious, sensitive and emotionally charged matters in litigation and prior to litigation to help the crafting of a resolution. Judge Levie provides parties the opportunity to express their concerns while also providing the parties with an objective perspective of the issues in a manner that enhances parties' ability to engage in a frank, but firm, discussion of both issues and options.
Judge Levie has mediated family cases involving:
- Complex divorce cases with large assets to be divided
- Annulment sought on the basis of fraud
- Cases involving trusts and property in several states
- Cases involving large disparities in the parties' economic status affecting alimony, property and division of marital and non-marital assets
- Division of marital and non-marital assets and debts
- Determination of amounts and duration of alimony
- Child support