In his career as a litigator, trial judge, mediator, arbitrator, case evaluator, and special master, Judge Levie has gained vast experience in the handling of complex and complicated professional liability disputes arising from a broad variety of substantive subject areas. As a mediator, Judge Levie draws on his professional experiences, ability to relate to people, creativity, and tenacity to work exhaustively with parties and counsel to reach a resolution. As an arbitrator, Judge Levie works with counsel to develop a comprehensive case management order that is appropriate to the particular dispute. He then guides proceedings in an efficient, expeditious, and cost-efficient manner toward hearing and decision.
- Accounting/Auditing Malpractice
- Mediated multiple alleged malpractice claims each involving millions of dollars arising from problems relating to conduct of audits and advice relating to treatment of items on financial statements
- Arbitrated lengthy case involving alleged failure of audit to find fraud leading to losses asserted to be in the tens of millions
- Actuarial Malpractice
- Architectural Disputes
- Mediated several disputes between architects and clients over design of architectural changes and compliance with architectural contracts in residential matters
- Legal Malpractice
- Mediated three cases each involving allegations of malpractice against law firms in connection with failing to timely file or prosecute patent applications
- Mediated multiple cases alleging improper advice from counsel, missing of statute of limitations, lawsuit dismissals arising from failing to follow court orders and conflicts of interest; cases involved a wide variety of subject matters including telecommunications, software technology, and real estate
- Medical Malpractice
- Mediated multiple cases involving allegations of failure to diagnose, improper diagnoses, failure of physicians to communicate regarding patient care, surgical errors, and anesthesia administration errors with numerous medical specialties and sub-specialties; cases involved either death or catastrophic injury with assertions of substantial economic and non-economic losses
- Handled case involving claims against a psychiatrist
- Professional Organizational Disputes
- Mediated law firm break up and then arbitrated disputes regarding client notification, client assignment, and distribution of fees
- Arbitrated amount of fees due departing partner
- Mediated dissolution of dental practice
- Arbitration of law firm dissolution
- Mediation of dissolution of business providing medical services
- Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS
- JAMS – Member of the Board; Chair of the Ethics Committee and member of the Executive Committee
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2022
- Past President & Board member, Academy of Court Appointed Masters
- Program co-chair, 2010 on adjudicating and resolving e-discovery disputes
- Selected for inclusion in the E-Discovery Special Master list approved by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Recognized as one of the "500 Leading Judges in America," by Lawdragon Magazine, 2006
- Fellow and member of the Board of Directors, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- Program co-chair, 2009 CCA National Meeting
- Board of Directors and instructor, Einstein Institute for Science, Health, and the Courts, 1997-2002
- Adjunct Professor, George Washington University School of Law, Washington, D.C., 1987-2003
- Served on the faculties of the National Judicial College, National Institute for Trial Advocacy, the Attorney General’s Advocacy Institute, and the Trial Advocacy Workshop at Harvard Law School. Topics include: management of complex cases, alternative dispute resolution and settlement, pretrial, injunctions, and summary judgment
Publications and Presentations
Presenter, D.C. Bar CLE – “Special Masters and How They Can Save You and Your Clients Time and Money,” January 2018
Presenter, Association of Corporate Counsel National Capital Region – “Secrets of a Successful Mediation,” January 2019
Panel Moderator, Mass Torts Judicial Forum, “Using Data Analytics in Litigation Strategy – The Numbers Don’t Lie,” April 2018
Faculty, Mass Torts Judicial Forum, “e-Discovery, new Federal Rules, Special Masters, Technology,” April 2016
- Panelist, “Relations Between Appointing Judges & Special Masters,” Annual Meeting – Academy of Court Appointed Masters, March 2016
- Judges Panel, “New Rules & Rulings,” ACEDS Annual Conference, 2015
- Judge’s Commentary, “Meet & Confer” conference; “Mock Motion to Compel,” ACEDS Annual Conference 2014
- Presenter, “Use of Special Masters in Mass Tort Litigation,” HB Litigation Conferences, 2010
- Contributing Author, Best Practices-College of Commercial Arbitrators Guide to Best Practices for Commercial Arbitrators
- Co-Author: "New ADR Process Provides Valuable Tool for Corporate and Outside Counsel" Metropolitan Corporate Counsel, September 2006
- Co-Author: "Want to Make Everyone a Winner: Use Mediation for IP Disputes," Philadelphia Intellectual Property Association, Spring 2006
- Faculty, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, "Arbitration Litigation," May 2010
- Faculty, Sedona Conference Webinar on Special Masters for eDiscovery Management and Dispute Resolution, April 2010
- Presenter, “The Growing Use of Experts & Neutrals in E-Discovery,” Georgetown Advanced E-Discovery Institute, 2008
- Licensing Executives Society Presentation, "Mediation and Arbitration-Saving Time and Money for Counsel and Clients," February 2006
- D.C. Bar CLE Presentation, "Getting the Most Out of Court Mediation & Commercial Divorce"
- Presented programs and talks on mediation and arbitration techniques and advocacy to the D.C. Bar, American Bar Association Dispute Resolution Section, U.S. Department of Justice, law firms, government agencies, and other organizations in Washington, D.C., Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia
- Presented talks on "Recent Trends in Alternative Dispute Resolution," to solicitors and barristers in the United Kingdom
- Mediator/Arbitrator, Special Master, and Case Evaluator, JAMS, 2004-Present
- Mediator/Arbitrator, ADR Associates, LLC, 2000-2003
- Associate Judge, District of Columbia Superior Court (1985-2000); Presiding Judge, Civil Division and Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division (1998-2000)
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, (sat by designation) 1994 and 1997
- Litigator, Department of Justice (staff attorney, Special Litigation Counsel, Senior Litigation Counsel) and Commodity Futures Trading Commission (staff attorney, Special Counsel, Chief Counsel)
- Private Practitioner, Washington, D.C.
- J.D., George Washington University School of Law
- B.A., Dickinson College
- "I had a great experience. Judge Levie was so prepared and thoughtful. I thought the technological aspect was seamless. A big money saver for my client to be virtual. I hope you keep virtual mediations!"
- Business Law Attorney
- "Thank you for your facilitation yesterday. You asked the right questions, listened attentively, pushed respectfully but didn’t push too hard or too early, and were patient throughout – just what I expected based on our past mediation. Thank you."
- "I and my client very much appreciate your assistance with this matter. You mastered the issues on short notice, read the parties and counsel perfectly, and deftly guided us to a fair resolution. I have no hesitation about recommending your services to clients in future cases."
- "The Special Master has been effective and professional in resolving, narrowing and/or clarifying the numerous difficult discovery issues in this case."
- "I find Judge Levie to be a rare combination of a good jurist and someone who has the patience to work through complicated problems with often difficult parties. While not always successful, I have always left with the belief that he endeavored to be fair, thorough and left no stone unturned. That is why I return again and again for his services."
- "Judge Levie has what you look for in an arbitrator whether your client is the plaintiff or the defendant--he is a quick study, is fair to both sides, and is extremely efficient in the management of the case. Highly recommended."
- "Judge Levie is particularly thorough and has a terrific ability to reduce complex issues to the simplest of terms."
- "Judge Levie is an outstanding mediator. His trial experience as an attorney and judge is invaluable to the mediation process."
- "Judge Levie is a smart, focused and business savvy mediator. He is inherently creative and results oriented."
- "Judge Levie makes it a priority to be well-prepared for the mediation, and as a result gets to the heart of the issues quickly and accurately. He is a pleasure to work with."
- "My clients have had great success relying on Judge Levie as a mediator in a variety of challenging employment disputes and they have achieved fair settlements, in large part due to Judge Levie's patience, credibility, calm and measured approach to the mediation process, and his respect for the parties and the process. I will continue to recommend Judge Levie to my clients and colleagues as an excellent mediator who works hard to help the parties achieve excellent outcomes in difficult cases."
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More