Hon. Peter D. Lichtman (Ret.) joined JAMS as a strong international mediator and arbitrator following a diverse 35-year legal and judicial career. He is known for his ability to settle particularly complex cases. Judge Lichtman brings a unique perspective to the dispute resolution process. Counsel regard him as tenacious, innovative, and dedicated to making sure matters are resolved expeditiously and with all due respect to each party. He is widely esteemed for his settlement skills, his approach to cases, and his intelligence and fair mindedness. On the bench, Judge Lichtman served as head of the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s Mandatory Settlement Program. He is also one of the founders of the Superior Court’s Complex Civil Litigation program, and twice served as the program’s supervising judge.
Judge Lichtman speaks Portuguese fluently and currently serves as a member of the Brazilian Consulate’s Conselho de Cidadão and the Brazilian California Chamber of Commerce. He also has conversational Spanish.
Please request or click to download Judge Lichtman's biography and introduction letter in Portuguese.
- Mediated alleged wrongful termination matter involving Japanese company that creates automatic semiconductor testers, equipment handlers, and integrated test systems
- Mediated breach of contract dispute involving US based seafood importer and Indonesian seafood supplier regarding disputed weight, size, and quality of seafood
- Mediated dispute concerning acquisition of a Ramen food concept restaurant owned and operated by Japanese entities where Plaintiff claims the Franchise Agreement entered was based on false profit and loss statements which artificially and substantially inflated the value of the restaurant
- Mediated royalties and trademark disputes involving global recording artists
- Mediated numerous insurance coverage disputes involving major carriers
- Mediated post-closing contract dispute following an acquisition of an England based fabless semiconductor company and US based acquiring company
- Mediated multi-million dollar class action accusing Austria-based beverage company of falsely advertising its energy drinks benefit consumers
- Mediated or arbitrated numerous complex breach of contract disputes involving a wide array of global companies within the telecommunications, semiconductor, entertainment, manufacturing, and energy sectors