During his 19 years of service as a United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey, Judge Lifland handled a wide variety of intellectual property cases, including patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret cases. Since joining JAMS as a neutral, his interest in and focus on intellectual property cases has continued.
- Patent issues involved in his ADR practice include infringement (including design patents), validity, damages and inventorship. Products involved include mechanical storage devices, software storage techniques, cell phones, dental materials, projection lamps, medical devices and various drugs.
- He has worked extensively on pharmaceutical and biotech patents, both on the bench and since. He has frequently participated as a neutral in evaluations of mock presentations for trial, appellate and Markman hearing purposes in pharmaceutical and biotech cases, as well as in cases involving other industries.
- In the trademark area, issues considered include infringement, strength-of-the-mark and related issues, interpretation of trademark provisions in sale-of-business cases, and distribution of counterfeit and/or mislabeled articles.
- Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS
- Founding member and active participant, John C. Lifland American Inn of Court (an association dedicated to fostering and developing the practice of intellectual property law and federal litigation)
- Sat by designation on the Federal Circuit and wrote opinion addressing on-sale bar to patentability
- Judicial Participant, Second National Forum on Presenting and Defending Pharmaceutical and Biotech Patent Litigation, December 2005; Speaker, Federal Circuit Judicial Conference and numerous other professional meetings related to patent and ADR issues, including Practicing Law Institute, New York Intellectual Property Law Association and New Jersey State Bar Association
- Member and Chairman, New Jersey Board of Bar Examiners, 1969-1977
- Judge, United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1988-2007
- Private practice, Stryker, Tams and Dill, Newark, New Jersey, 1961-1988
- Law Clerk, Hon. Thomas F. Meaney, U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- LL.B., Harvard Law School
- B.A., Yale University
- Civil Rights
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Federal Judge
- Governmental/Public Agency
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
- Life Sciences
- Pharmaceuticals/Mass Tort
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More