Justice Low has earned a reputation for skillfully handling a wide variety of complex insurance issues. Prior to 2000, he mediated and arbitrated numerous insurance related disputes and served as Special Master and referee at JAMS.
From September 2000 to January 2003, Justice Low served as California's 38th Insurance Commissioner after appointment by Governor Davis and unanimous confirmation by the Legislature. He was asked to restore respect and confidence in the California Department of Insurance after the previous Commissioner resigned. Through his leadership, Commissioner Low helped gain for California the reputation of one of the best insurance regulators in the nation.
As a Presiding Justice of the California Court of Appeal, he has written a variety of opinions on insurance law. Justice Low is very knowledgeable in interpretation of insurance law and in the regulation of insurers. He has experience in interpreting insurance policies as they relate to coverage issues, duties of insurers, and reinsurers. He has worked closely with insurance consumer groups, policyholders, agents and brokers, third party claimants, and insurance carriers. He can assist in resolving disputes in insurance insolvency issues. Justice Low is the Arbitrator for the Surplus Lines Association and served as Trustee to Golden Eagle Insurance Company insolvency proceedings.
Justice Low is available to assist attorneys in trial and appellate cases. He has served as Special Master, referee, trustee, and provisional director.
Prior to serving as California's Insurance Commissioner, Justice Low settled numerous insurance related disputes and has served as a Special Master on insurance coverage and damage disputes.
- Evaluator/Consultant on insurance regulatory matters
- Mediated successfully equitable contribution indemnification issues among over 30 insurance companies
- Successfully mediated health insurance disputes, disability claims, and professional liability
- Successfully mediated many bad faith claims including issues of mold damage, fire damage, construction defect, broker commissions, personal injury, and pollution
- Umpire in appraisal of insurance loss disputes