After 43 years of active litigation, which included a variety of personal injury and tort matters, Louis M. Marlin, Esq. has devoted himself to working full time as a neutral at JAMS since September 2015. His experience as a litigator, representing both defendants and plaintiffs in highly charged and often intricate matters, has provided him with an understanding of the needs of both sides when mediating these important cases.
Whether it is litigating a catastrophic personal injury action involving manufacturing machinery severing a worker’s arm, defending an action against a student-abroad program for wrongful death of students killed in an auto accident, or handling highly sensitive sexual assault claims by minors, his experience has formed the bedrock for his well-respected range of knowledge concerning personal injury and tort matters.
Mr. Marlin was considered among the top class action/complex litigation attorneys in California, and regularly applies that insight and experience to his practice as a neutral in all areas from single plaintiff matters to all types of multi-party litigation. He is known for working actively to assist both sides in resolving personal injury and tort matters and for achieving timely and efficient resolutions in even the most contentious disputes.
- Successfully mediated personal injury matters, including:
- rear-end collision between retail company truck and personal vehicle that burst into flames. Matter involved substantial loss of consortium claim and questions concerning validity of sub rosa video of plaintiff
- shooting involving plaintiff and large police department
- In addition, Mr. Marlin served as counsel on dozens of personal injury matters, including:
- Court appointed “liaison counsel” in numerous matters involving large number of parties and counsel
- Action against student-abroad program for wrongful death of several students in auto accident
- Catastrophic personal injury action involving manufacturing machinery severing worker’s arm
- Claim by ballet dancer that he was beaten by staff at state mental institution
- Claim by high school student that she had sexual relations with teacher and that school, although aware of relationship, took no action to protect her
- Complex psychological malpractice tort action against group of psychologists operating residential program
- Pedestrian’s claim of having been struck by rental truck and rendered paraplegic
- Personal injury claim concerning design of child’s stroller and its use on escalator
- Rear-end auto accident resulting in plaintiff’s loss of hearing
- Several proposed class actions/multi-party litigation against large university system for mishandling of human remains. Lead counsel in trial court and appellate court proceedings
- Teenager’s sexual assault claim against treating physician
- Wrongful death claim for family of man hit by speeding fire response vehicle
- Wrongful death of motorcycle driver