Justice McAdams served on the California Court of Appeal, Sixth District, from 2003 to 2011 after over 26 years on the bench in Santa Cruz County. During that time, he authored hundreds of opinions, including numerous published decisions, joined in over 1000 other opinions and reviewed hundreds of writs as a member of the writ panel. In 2008, Justice McAdams was appointed by the Chief Justice to serve as an Assigned Justice with the California Supreme Court in Marathon Entertainment, Inc. v. Blasi (2008) 42 Cal.4th 974 (scope of Talent Agencies Act).
While serving on the Court of Appeal, Justice McAdams championed the benefits of appellate mediation and played a significant role in creating the Sixth District Mediation Program. He has served as a guest lecturer and panel member on appellate practices matters at the California State Bar convention, local bar association events, Sixth District seminars, law school classes and private seminars and served as a member and co-Chair of the Santa Clara County Bar Association Appellate Courts Committee through 2011.
Justice McAdams was honored as the “Appellate Justice of the Year,” by the Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association in 2010.
- Settlement of a construction contract dispute between school district and general contractor pending appeal of a $2.5M jury verdict
- Mediation of dispute between two water agencies pending appeal
- Neutral evaluation in a catastrophic injury case after adverse law and motion decision
- Settlement of a residential construction defect case after judgment in interpleader action
- Mediation of appeal in a dispute concerning placement of a severely developmentally disabled child
- Arbitration of post-trial fee issues in civil rights case with pending appeal
- Mediation in construction/design defect case pending appeal of motion granting a new trial after a $2.4M jury verdict
- Mediation of fraud action by terminated CEO pending appeal of judgment awarding compensatory and punitive damages.