Justice McAdams served on the California Court of Appeal, Sixth District, from 2003 to 2011 after over 26 years on the bench in Santa Cruz County. During that time, he authored hundreds of opinions, including numerous published decisions, joined in over 1000 other opinions and reviewed hundreds of writs as a member of the writ panel. In 2008, Justice McAdams was appointed by the Chief Justice to serve as an Assigned Justice with the California Supreme Court in Marathon Entertainment, Inc. v. Blasi (2008) 42 Cal.4th 974 (scope of Talent Agencies Act).
While serving on the Court of Appeal, Justice McAdams championed the benefits of appellate mediation and played a significant role in creating the Sixth District Mediation Program. He has served as a guest lecturer and panel member on appellate practices matters at the California State Bar convention, local bar association events, Sixth District seminars, law school classes and private seminars and served as a member and co-Chair of the Santa Clara County Bar Association Appellate Courts Committee through 2011.
Justice McAdams was honored as the “Appellate Justice of the Year,” by the Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association in 2010.
- Settlement of a construction contract dispute between school district and general contractor pending appeal of a $2.5M jury verdict
- Mediation of dispute between two water agencies pending appeal
- Neutral evaluation in a catastrophic injury case after adverse law and motion decision
- Settlement of a residential construction defect case after judgment in interpleader action
- Mediation of appeal in a dispute concerning placement of a severely developmentally disabled child
- Arbitration of post-trial fee issues in civil rights case with pending appeal
- Mediation in construction/design defect case pending appeal of motion granting a new trial after a $2.4M jury verdict
- Mediation of fraud action by terminated CEO pending appeal of judgment awarding compensatory and punitive damages.
- Appellate Justice of the Year, Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association, 2010
- Member, California Judges Association, 1977–present
- Executive Board, 1989–1992
- Various Committees, 1986–2003 (including Civil Law & Procedures Committee and Family Law Committee, 1995–1997)
- Member, Judicial Council Civil Jury Instructions Advisory Committee (CACI), 2008–2011
- Judicial Educator, California Center for Judicial Education and Research (CJER), 1987– 2008 (including chair of the Civil Law Education Committee, chair of the Continuing Judicial Studies Program (CJSP), and Civil Law and Procedure faculty member (Judicial College, Civil Law and Procedure Institute and CJSP)
- Co-Chair and Member, Appellate Courts Committee, Santa Clara County Bar Association, 2008–2011
- "An Appealing Approach"; Daily Journal; March 2, 2012
- Appellate Justice, Sixth District Court of Appeal, 2003-2011
- Superior Court Judge, Santa Cruz County, 1998-2003
- Municipal Court Judge, Santa Cruz County, 1977-1998
- Assigned to Superior Court, 1994-1998
- Presiding Judge, 1980, 1984, 1987, and 1990
- Founding Partner, Fox McAdams and Popin, 1974-1977
- Solo practice, 1973
- Attorney, Legal Aid Society of Santa Cruz, 1970-1973
- Acting Director, 1973
- Attorney, Jarvis, Miller and Stender, 1969-1970
- J.D., Hastings College of Law, 1968
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley, 1965
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More