Judge McCoy has many years of experience handling insurance-related cases as a trial judge, settlement judge, and now mediator and arbitrator. His experience includes a wide range of issues including bad faith, duty to defend/indemnify, various forms of indemnity provisions, exclusions, deductibles, retentions, surety contracts, equitable contribution, additional insured provisions, reinsurance, excess insurance, subordinated claims, workers compensation insurance and more. Cases mediated by Judge McCoy often include substantial insurance elements that must be appropriately resolved in order to achieve settlement.
Judge McCoy’s personal civility skills and hands-on case management style have facilitated successful resolution of countless insurance-related matters. He has earned a reputation for gaining the trust of plaintiffs, defendants, insurance executives and adjusters.
- Breach of insurance contract, bad faith policy cancellation and unfair business practices involving thousands of business interruption and property claims, including subsidence, arising from major public transit rail construction project
- Managed and led ultimate settlement of major clergy abuse litigations (involving hundreds of individual lawsuits) in California and nationally – many of these cases raised very complex insurance coverage issues involving multiple layers of insurance spanning many decades
- Coverage and insurance fraud claims arising from major California forest fire
- Numerous construction defect cases raising many insurance-related issues
- Bad faith refusal to defend and indemnify commercial aircraft accident case
- Complicated insurance disputes arising in groundwater contamination and clean-up cases
- Over 1000 cases arising from Northridge Earthquake involving coverage issues relating to policies insuring both commercial and residential properties
- Numerous personal injury cases where coverage is a significant issue
- Insurance bad faith claims made in many commercial and personal injury litigation contexts