For almost 20 years, Judge Melinson has been involved in litigating, deciding, mediating, or arbitrating disputes involving insurance issues. He is familiar with the law and expert at resolving disputes involving bad faith, coverage, subrogation, property damage, and reinsurance in a wide range of contexts including manufacturing, service, construction, higher education, retail, professional, and healthcare industries.
- Action against insurance brokerage for fraud in not revealing to insured that there was no policy in existence
- Action against insurance brokerage that placed liability insurance with a carrier on the brink of insolvency
- Breach of contract dispute between a New York-based medical professional and insurance company
- Case arising from fire that occurred at large apartment complex owned by prominent insurance carrier and managed by nationally renowned real estate property management and leasing company. Two other nationally known insurance carriers were involved as well as individual parties. There were complex issues of coverage, subrogation, negligence, breach of contract, and calculation of damages. The amounts in controversy were substantial.
- Complex, multi-party coverage dispute between and among an institution of higher learning, its insurance agent, and several insurance carriers and underwriters over a professional liability claim
- Coverage dispute originating from the collapse of a roof which the insurance company maintained was due to structural defects and not a covered claim
- Dispute between insurance company, individual, and employer over coverage issues stemming from harassment allegations
- Fraud versus insurance agent in premium financing transactions
- Global settlement of all claims (interpleader, subrogation) arising out of fire at furniture restoration plant in which the private property of hundreds of customers was destroyed
- International case involving delivery of large shipment of spoiled fruit among multiple parties including: growers, shipping companies, warehouse facilities, marine terminal, and refrigeration system manufacturer
- Matters dealing with underinsured motorist disputes
- Mediation arising out of denial of coverage and allegations of bad faith against national insurance company
- Multi-party insurance mediation involving insurance company and various agents over the recission of an insurance policy because of alleged misrepresentation and concealment of material information
- Multiple cases involving disability and denial of claims
- Suit involving multiple insured claims under the disability policy against carrier for denying coverage, with some claims involving bad faith