Justice Morrison has a wide and varied range of experience in business litigation. In numerous commercial and business disputes he has served as a mediator, arbitrator, special master, discovery referee, trial judge and appellate justice. He has handled cases involving complex contractual disputes, real property issues, claims of fraud, trade secret violations, commercial leases, business valuation, partnership dissolution, as well as, business disputes between healthcare providers. As a discovery referee, he has also handled matters involving e-discovery disputes. Justice Morrison is acknowledged to be a quick study in the most complex cases and even-handed and patient in the most contentious disputes.
- Mediated trade secrets dispute involving theft of customer information and lists by a former employee
- Mediated class action matter involving a major grocery chain and the implementation of California’s credit card privacy statute. The case also dealt with entitlement to attorney fees under Code of Civil Procedure §1021.5 (private attorney general statute).
- Mediated breach of contract action involving secured property and bankruptcy issues between a Danish seller of agricultural products and the American company that purchased the products
- Mediated dispute over a lease option to buy a truck stop with significant issues involving the meaning of contract of sale and choice of business valuation methods
- Mediated trademark infringement and copyright suit involving insurance coverage issues between a major jewelry manufacturer and an independent retailer
- Mediated matter involving termination of a business partnership, buyout of a partner and valuation of the good will of the business
- Mediated disputes involving investment fraud and breach of contract
- Mediated breach of contract action involving a dispute over the installation, design and proper functioning of computer software
- Mediated dispute involving the breakup of a partnership involving a large commercial property development that failed during the economic downturn
- Arbitrated foreclosure on a construction loan and effect of general contractor’s completion guarantee
- Arbitrated termination of a law firm shareholder and valuation of partnership share
- Discovery Referee in contract dispute involving two natural gas exploration companies
- Ninth Circuit Trustee, Board of Trustees of the American Inns of Court, 2009-2013
- Member, Third District Court of Appeal Committee to Establish Appellate Mediation and Settlement Program
- Presiding Special Master, Commission on Judicial Performance Hearing, 2007
- Member, Supreme Court Advisory Committee for Publication of Court of Appeal Opinions, 2005-2006
- “Medical Malpractice Litigation: Policy, Procedures and Perspective,” John M. Mott Memorial Lecture, University of California, Davis Medical School, 2001
- Speaker, programs on civil litigation and medical malpractice, University of California, Davis Medical School, 2001-present
- Justice Pro Tem, California Supreme Court, 2002
- Judge of the Year, Sacramento County Bar Association, 1997
- Member, Governing Board, California Center for Judicial Education and Research, 1995-2000
- Founding Member and Executive Committee Member, Anthony M. Kennedy Inn of Court, 1990 to present; (President, 1993-1997)
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association, 1978 – 1985; Bar Council, 1983-1985; Secretary-Treasurer, 1983; Vice-President, 1985
- "From Military to Mediation," ADR Profile, Daily Journal, August 24, 2012
- Justice, California Court of Appeal, Third Appellate District, 1994-2009
- Judge, Sacramento Superior Court, 1989-1994
- Municipal Court Judge, Sacramento, 1985-1989
- Assistant U.S. Attorney, Sacramento, CA, 1982-1985
- Professor, McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, Sacramento, CA, 1975–1982; Adjunct Professor, 1982-1989
- Second Lieutenant to Brigadier General and National Guard Special Assistant to the Judge Advocate General of the Army, California National Guard, 1975-1993
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corp., U.S. Army, 1971-1975
- J.D., magna cum laude, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA, 1971
- U.S. Army (tours in Korea and Vietnam), 1963-1975
- B.S. (Psychology), Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1963
- "My case settled before arbitration for two reasons: One, Justice Morrison wanted to know the issues and; Two, Justice Morrison made the time and space to hear the issues. I prepared an educational brief on a less common area of the law which not only helped Justice Morrison, but also the respondent in evaluating the claim."
- "Justice Morrison has all the virtues of an ideal Scout, and still has the energy and enthusiasm of a person decades younger (although he no longer annually ascends the challenging Mt. Shasta). He combines those attributes with a breadth of experience, a multi-layered background and a fertile mind. And like a Scout, Fred is always prepared."
- Senior Counsel, Sacramento Law Firm
- "Justice Morrison checks those boxes of patience, communication skills and respect. My clients have paid a lot of money, or very little money, in cases mediated by Justice Morrison, but they have left feeling that the results were fair. Clients pay attention to him, as do attorneys who want a good result for their clients."
- Managing Partner, Sacramento Law Firm
- "He's very approachable and very easy to talk with. He has a quick grasp of the situation and will do his best to get a fair and just result."
- Managing Partner, Sacramento Law Firm
- "Because he is a retired Court of Appeal justice, he carries an attitude and a gravitas with clients that your run-of-the-mill attorney mediators just don't have. He's very pleasant, he's very frank, and he has no predispositions. He doesn't favor plaintiffs and he doesn't favor defendants. He reviews the facts of the case."
- “He takes a levelheaded and reasoned approach to the matter at hand. He understands the facts and the law, then asks the focused questions with a light touch and a disarming manner.”
- Business Litigator
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More