Justice Morrison has a wide and varied range of experience in business litigation. In numerous commercial and business disputes he has served as a mediator, arbitrator, special master, discovery referee, trial judge and appellate justice. He has handled cases involving complex contractual disputes, real property issues, claims of fraud, trade secret violations, commercial leases, business valuation, partnership dissolution, as well as, business disputes between healthcare providers. As a discovery referee, he has also handled matters involving e-discovery disputes. Justice Morrison is acknowledged to be a quick study in the most complex cases and even-handed and patient in the most contentious disputes.
- Mediated trade secrets dispute involving theft of customer information and lists by a former employee
- Mediated class action matter involving a major grocery chain and the implementation of California’s credit card privacy statute. The case also dealt with entitlement to attorney fees under Code of Civil Procedure §1021.5 (private attorney general statute).
- Mediated breach of contract action involving secured property and bankruptcy issues between a Danish seller of agricultural products and the American company that purchased the products
- Mediated dispute over a lease option to buy a truck stop with significant issues involving the meaning of contract of sale and choice of business valuation methods
- Mediated trademark infringement and copyright suit involving insurance coverage issues between a major jewelry manufacturer and an independent retailer
- Mediated matter involving termination of a business partnership, buyout of a partner and valuation of the good will of the business
- Mediated disputes involving investment fraud and breach of contract
- Mediated breach of contract action involving a dispute over the installation, design and proper functioning of computer software
- Mediated dispute involving the breakup of a partnership involving a large commercial property development that failed during the economic downturn
- Arbitrated foreclosure on a construction loan and effect of general contractor’s completion guarantee
- Arbitrated termination of a law firm shareholder and valuation of partnership share
- Discovery Referee in contract dispute involving two natural gas exploration companies