Hon. Stephen E. Neel (Ret.) has served as a full-time mediator and arbitrator since leaving the bench to join JAMS in 2011. Judge Neel brings nearly 40 years of experience to his JAMS employment practice.
While at JAMS Judge Neel has mediated and arbitrated matters in a variety of complex employment disputes. As a mediator, Judge Neel draws on his professional experiences, ability to relate to people, creativity, and tenacity to work with parties and counsel to reach a resolution. As an arbitrator, Judge Neel works with counsel to develop a comprehensive case management order that is appropriate to the particular dispute. He then guides proceedings in an efficient, expeditious, and cost-efficient manner toward hearing and decision.
Representative Employment Matters:
- Mediated and settled claim alleging wrongful termination based on violation of public policy
- Helped parties reach settlement of dispute over alleged wrongful termination based on disability and violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Resolved class action seeking payment of wages for meal breaks under Massachusetts Payment of Wages Law
- Settled gender discrimination, hostile environment and retaliation claims
- Sole arbitrator on claim of wrongful termination based on disability
- Successfully mediated various class actions alleging misclassification of employees under Massachusetts Independent Contractor statute, and resulting wage and benefit claims
- Settled alleged claim of wrongful termination based on military service
- Resolved claim of retaliation for whistleblowing