Donald R. Person, Esq. has mediated and arbitrated numerous construction disputes involving both public and private works of improvement. He is adept at handling all issues presented in construction cases, including interpretation of plans and specifications, construction and design defects, engineering and infrastructure issues, non-conforming and non-code compliant work, project milestones and completion, scheduling, delay, acceleration, interference, change orders and claims, bonds, insurance, damage analysis, and mechanic’s liens, stop notices and other remedies. Mr. Person has particular expertise in resolving pre-litigation claims and is adept at helping design and implement effective and economical discovery plans.
Mr. Person practiced law for 22 years before joining JAMS in 1997. He has extensive subject matter expertise in construction and real estate matters. Attorneys have admitted raw data evidence and relied on him to arbitrate cases involving construction scheduling and delay and power plant construction and performance issues without the benefit of expert testimony. His neutral evaluations have been accepted as the basis for settlement in construction cases. Mr. Person is an attorney and a mechanical engineer.
Mr. Person has taught construction classes for the University of California at Davis Extension School and for California State University at Sacramento. He has conducted construction seminars for law firms, the California Building Industry Foundation, contractor groups, and a public works agency. He has been a member of the Construction Management Advisory Board of the UC Davis Extension School. He has arbitrated construction cases for the California State Contractors’ License Board. Mr. Person’s construction expertise has been recognized by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in its authorization of the use of his mediation services as an administrative expense.
- Construction and design defect claims regarding residential common interest subdivisions
- Engineering, construction and infrastructure design defect, delay, scheduling, acceleration, payment, and other claims regarding commercial construction
- Construction and information technology issues regarding the sophisticated parking lot operation of one of the world's largest international airports
- Contract interpretation, delay, defect, and code compliance claims regarding the construction and renovation of production and custom housing
- Defect, delay, acceleration, bond, and payment claims regarding highway, bridge, school, and other public works
- Defect, delay, and payment claims regarding construction of telecommunication facilities in a remote area of Alaska