Victoria L. Platzer joins JAMS after serving for 18 years as a circuit court judge in Miami-Dade (Florida) County and, since 2013, as a mediator, arbitrator and special master in private practice. Judge Platzer has handled a range of complex matters involving commercial, employment, insurance, family, real estate, medical malpractice and personal injury law. Her background as a police officer, private practitioner and judge has given her a unique perspective on a vast array of issues.
Judge Platzer is known for her diligent preparation, professionalism and integrity as a neutral. Her evaluative approach has proven successful in bringing parties to resolution through a thorough assessment of the elements of each case.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- More than five years as a private ADR practitioner, handling hundreds of diverse matters as an arbitrator, mediator or special master
- 18 years on the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court, including service as administrative judge in the Trial Assistance Division, associate administrative judge in the Civil Division, associate judge on the Eleventh Circuit Appellate Panel and a member of the Florida Supreme Court task force on complex litigation
- Presided over hundreds of jury and non-jury trials involving complex legal issues
- Successfully mediated a complex wrongful death case resulting from a construction accident; case involved more than 50 participants, including litigants, attorneys and adjusters for indemnity, surplus and workers’ compensation insurers
- Mediated more than 1,000 first-party property claims involving indemnity claims, extra contractual, bad faith, co-insurance and attorneys’ fees
- Mediated medical malpractice cases involving multiple parties, attorneys, doctors and hospitals involving complex issues, including wrongful death, statutory immunity workers’ compensation and Medicare liens
Business/Commercial: Complex breach of contract actions, including company dissolutions, shareholder and partnership agreements
Employment: Wage and hour claims, wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, whistleblower, compensation disputes, ADA and EEOC complaints
Family Law: All dissolution and paternity matters, including alimony, parenting, equitable distribution, post-judgment enforcement actions, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements
Insurance: Coverage disputes, liability and damage claims, professional and product liability, bad faith actions
Personal Injury: Wrongful death cases, maritime, medical malpractice
Real Estate: Development project disputes, purchase/sale contracts, landlord/tenant claims