Lawrence W. Pollack, Esq. serves as a neutral arbitrator, mediator, Special Master, and Discovery Master of complex business/commercial and insurance matters. Mr. Pollack specializes in enabling, through negotiation or arbitral proceedings, the resolution of difficult disputes with significant claims among multiple parties with divergent interests.
Mr. Pollack has thirty years of experience that he employs at JAMS to address commercial disputes, business, partnership and joint venture dissolution actions, legal malpractice matters, product liability cases, aviation controversies, and sophisticated issues in all aspects of domestic and international insurance and reinsurance, including those relative to claims, subrogation, policy language, regulation, and business strategy.
Legal 500 has observed that Mr. Pollack is described by both policyholders and their insurers as “personable and thoroughly commercial, perfect for insurance litigation.” As a result, Mr. Pollack is often the neutral selected by both policyholder and insurance counsel for dispute resolution services.
Mr. Pollack joined JAMS in 2010 after twenty-eight years in private practice, at Dewey & LeBoeuf LLP and its predecessor firms, LeBoeuf Lamb Greene & MacRae LLP, and LeBoeuf Lamb Leiby & MacRae. Mr. Pollack’s practice often required travel to Europe for work on cases venued in the U.S. involving parties based overseas. By virtue of that experience, Mr. Pollack is now a member of the JAMS International panel, and serves as a neutral in matters with an international dimension. In 1999, Mr. Pollack began a 10-year service as Co-Chairman of his firm’s Litigation Department. Mr. Pollack became a member of the firm’s Executive Committee in 2003 and served on that committee until his retirement from the firm in 2009.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Political Risk
- Professional Liability
- Appointed arbitrator in various significant matters, both as sole arbitrator and member of tripartite arbitration panels, for business/commercial, legal malpractice, and insurance disputes
- Mediated $50M coverage dispute between two oil companies with respect to MTBE losses under Bermuda foreign policy
- Mediated insurance coverage issues arising from major sports-related concussion litigation
- Mediated a dispute involving mortgage-backed securities between multiple parties including banks and title insurance companies
- Mediated various matters involving diverse claims of legal malpractice, some brought by trustees of large funds regarding complex financial instruments
- Mediated a matter implicating claims between a life insurance provider and a life settlement company
- Mediated a dispute regarding alleged insurance coverage over multiple years for claims of black lung disease
- Negotiated settlement of insurance claims concerning alleged respiratory injury following the clean-up of the September 11, 2001 disaster brought against numerous London-based insurers by the World Trade Center Captive on behalf of the City of New York
- Negotiated settlement of insurance claims lodged by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey with certain London insurers, in relation to the substantial property damage arising out of the September 11, 2001 disaster
- Negotiated settlement of claims in Insurance Antitrust Litigation against foreign reinsurer group (nineteen parties), following ruling by United States Supreme Court
- Litigated and eventually negotiated settlement of high profile insurance recovery action for construction defect arising out of a massive explosion on an oil platform off the coast of Brazil
- Arbitration as lead trial counsel of six (confidential) matters involving extended warranty reinsurance coverage provided by certain London Market reinsurers, and ongoing provision of advice concerning related issues prior to retirement from practice as an advocate
- Litigated and eventually negotiated settlement (following favorable verdict after six-week jury trial) of major bad faith insurance coverage action that implicated all aspects of the pertinent Florida law
- Mediated numerous claims for insurance coverage arising from damage caused by Superstorm Sandy
- Mediated numerous matters involving asbestos, pollution and health hazard claims under insurance and reinsurance policies