Alexander S. Polsky, FCIArb/HKIACrb
is a highly experienced international mediator and arbitrator. Over 20 years of experience as a highly successful neutral and 14 years as a well-known litigator, provide Mr. Polsky with a unique background; background that has made him a high successful international panelist.
Mr. Polsky’s practice covers a range of specialty areas as well as cases and reference trials from around the world. He has presided over the resolution of more than 10,000 disputes and is well known for his ability to calm highly emotional parties and simplify complex disputes. He has worked closely with parties from numerous different countries and cultures to resolve disputes in a wide array of practice areas, including those involving business, construction, employment, insurance, intellectual property, maritime, and personal injury issues, among others. Mr. Polsky teaches negotiation and mediation at the University of Southern California’s Gould School of Law. He also provides negotiation training to law firms, bar associations, and corporations worldwide.
- Breach of executive compensation dispute between an international sports equipment firm and former U.S.-based general counsel who alleged wrongful termination following establishment of company’s essential business development agreements
- Commercial matter involving manufacture of specialized vehicle to be re-sold in foreign country. Upon receipt, engine found to be defective, leading to litigation against engine manufacturer that involved claims for costs of vehicle, interest, lost profits, shipping, and storage
- Directors & officers liability matter brought on behalf of creditors over pre-insolvency transfer of millions of dollars from balance sheet to foreign-based company
- Dispute involving defamation and fraud claims alleging defendant embarked on multi-year campaign to discredit international telecommunications company. Matter involved cross claim for breach of contract
- Employment dispute between U.S.-based employee and overseas health care company involving claims for wrongful termination, retaliation for medical leave of absence, emotional distress, and wage and hour violations under state labor code
- Entertainment law dispute between multinational entertainment corporations over licensing and distribution rights for creative television formats in Latin America
- International arbitration, following UNCITRAL rules, involving dispute over ownership of intellectual property rights for solar energy system technology
- International business dispute involving competing airline ticket consolidation companies
- International re-insurance fraud and improper placement of excess coverage claims, with matter involving evaluation of multiple re-insurance treaties
- Matter involving disputes between founders of multiple national and international call centers over ownership shares and interest
- Resolved legal malpractice claim involving maritime insurance coverage dispute over vessel that sank in calm seas
- Dispute between individual and former employer, an international corporation, over alleged wrongful termination during individual’s indefinite medical leave
- Mr. Polsky is a sought after negotiation skills trainer and has lectured throughout the United States. He is an adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Southern California, where he teaches a course he designed on ADR and negotiation, and at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law, where he teaches courses in the LLM program. He is available to provide training in negotiation and mediation skills development to corporations and professional organizations.
- Pro bono activities include Dispute Resolution Services (DRS) Board of Directors; Los Angeles/Long Beach Legal Aid Grand Cru Board of Directors; Public Law Center of Orange County Board of Directors; Los Angeles County Bar Association volunteer mediation program volunteer