Barbara A. Reeves, Esq., CEDS (Certified E-Discovery Specialist) began her career as an attorney with the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, in Washington, D.C. After serving as a trial attorney in the Special Trials Section, she became the Special Assistant to the Assistant Attorney General, and then the Chief of the Antitrust Division’s Los Angeles Office, a post that she held for several years.
While in private practice, Ms. Reeves handled numerous antitrust cases and counseled clients on antitrust matters. Her practice involved the intersection of intellectual property and antitrust, standard essential patent issues, joint ventures, mergers, price discrimination, price fixing, and distribution arrangements, across industries as varied as oil and gas, entertainment, telecommunications, international financial markets, stock brokerage, agriculture, and intellectual property.
Since becoming a full-time arbitrator and mediator, she has arbitrated and/or mediated cases involving international cartel civil cases, standard essential patents, Capper Volsted, distribution problems and joint ventures. In addition to her work in domestic antitrust cases, Ms. Reeves served as a mediator in international cartel civil cases.
- Arbitrated an international joint venture dispute/marketing and distribution arrangement dispute in the pharmaceutical industry
- Mediated a number of settlements between parties to several international cartel cases in the various technology markets
- Mediated cases involving Capper Volsted immunity issues, including membership and definition of related entities
- Mediated cases involving standard essential patents (SEPs) in various industries
- Mediated several cases involving antitrust and trade secret issues between former joint venture partners in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, oil and gas and maritime equipment
- Served as a mediator in a dispute arising out of an alleged anticompetitive joint venture and distribution arrangement in the entertainment industry
- Served as a mediator in cases involving refusals to deal and boycotts between companies in the financial and credit businesses
- Served as a mediator in class action alleging bundling and tying arrangements
- Served as arbitrator in class action involving unfair business practices and antitrust claims in the travel business