Barbara A. Reeves, Esq., CEDS (Certified E-Discovery Specialist) is a highly regarded and well-respected mediator and arbitrator. She is a quick study, prepared, personable, creative, and flexible.
As an arbitrator, Barbara Reeves is known to be fair, practical, and not afraid to make tough decisions. As a mediator, she is strong, good at listening and reading people, and a tenacious closer. She is known for her ability to quickly establish rapport with parties and counsel and enable them to recognize their legal risks. She is known for her ability to connect and communicate with clients emotionally involved with their positions and usher parties toward mutually acceptable solutions.
Before becoming a full-time neutral, Barbara Reeves was a litigator for more than 30 years, with the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division in Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles, a partner at national law firms and Associate General Counsel and Vice President for Southern California Edison and Edison International.
Barbara Reeves is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the College of Commercial Arbitrators, and a certified mediator with the International Mediation Institute. She received her J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School.
- Mediated claims for copyright infringement involving film and music properties in the US.
- Arbitrated claim between film producer and investors arising from production of independent film
- Mediated copyright claims involving video games
- Mediated copyright infringement claims involving sampling in the music industry
- Copyright infringement claim involving a television commercial
- Dispute between recording artist and record label
- Partnership dispute between current and former partners in entertainment management company
- Disputes between personal manager and talent
- Dispute involving union and entertainment industry pension fund
- Competition clams and licensing disputes among studios using common antipiracy technology
- Profit participation disputes between talent and studios
- Profit participation dispute involving several cast members in syndicated program
- Dispute between actor and sponsor over use of a television commercial
- Contract dispute involving licensing issues in television syndication
- Trademark and contractual claims among members of musical group
- Idea submission claim involving the title song used in a television series
- Wrongful termination of an entertainment industry executive
- Stock option dispute by executive who moved to take a new job and was terminated before vesting
- SafeSport Arbitration Panel for US Olympic (USOC) 47 sport National Governing Bodies (NGBs)
- Mediated breach of contract claim between sports channel and cable network
- Mediated discrimination claims brought by girls’ softball league against a municipality
- Mediated claims arising out of series of the settlement of an antitrust case involving the single-entity issue of a sports league and its allocation of streaming rights
- Mediated claims brought by purchasers of elite show jumping horses against sellers for misrepresentation
- Mediated a copyright dispute between a race track broadcaster and his prior employer
- Arbitrated claims brought by athletes against trainer for fraud and breach of contract
- Arbitrated disputes involving claims of abuse of athletes by coaches and others
- Arbitrated commercial dispute between sponsor and athlete related to sponsorship
Completed Virtual ADR training conducted by the JAMS Institute, the training arm of JAMS.
Honors and Memberships
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Fellow and current Board Member and Officer, College of Commercial Arbitrators
- Fellow, Academy of Court Appointed Masters
- Arbitrator, Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Certified Mediator with the International Mediation Institute
- Certified E-Discovery Specialist
- Board Member, California International Arbitration Council
- Ranked in Chambers, Nationwide Mediators, 2016-2022
- Recognized, Silicon Valley Arbitration & Mediation Center (SVAMC)'s List of the World's Leading Technology Neutrals
- "Nationwide Mediators" List, Chambers USA (2016-2022),
- Former President, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (Los Angeles Chapter)
- Former board member or chair: Antitrust Sections of the State Bar of California and Los Angeles County Bar Association; ADR Committee, LACBA; Trustee, LACBA, Women Lawyers of Los Angeles
- Current and/or former board member of numerous public interest organizations, including Public Counsel, Western Center on Law and Poverty, and a Founder of the Alliance for Children’s Rights
- Member, California State Bar and the Bar of the District of Columbia
Recent Publications and Speaking Engagements
- 2022 - Speaker at ABA Dispute Resolution Section Spring Meeting; speaker at California International Arbitration Week; speaker at various programs on E-discovery; speaker on European webinar on Using Mediation to Resolve Business Interruption Disputes.
- 2020 and 2021 – Speaker on webinars presented by the ABA, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law groups (WIPL, LAIPL).
- Speaker at the Emerging Issues Conference of the ABA Health Law Section (2016-2019); California Society of Health Attorneys Annual Meeting (2016, 2017); ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Conference (2017-2019)
- “Uprooting the Decision Tree,” Advocate Magazine, CAALA, September 2018
- “How Third-Party Funders change the Chemistry of Settlements,” Advocate Magazine, CAALA, September 2017
- “A Special Master’s Role in Hospital Merger Cases,” LAW360 (2016)
- Author, Updates to Rutter Group Employment Law Treatise, ADR chapter, 2012-2016
- "Whose Arbitration is This, Anyway?", JAMS Global Engineering and Construction Newsletter, Fall 2013
- "Litigation Solutions: Referees and Special Masters," Daily Journal, June 13, 2012
- "It’s Time to Fix Arbitration Discovery," Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2010
- "Ordered to arbitration? Take advantage!" Advocate Magazine, CAALA, September 2010
- "As the Economy Stumbles, Employment Discrimination Claims Climb," Employment Law Strategist, Law Journal Newsletters, December 2008
- Author or co-author of leading articles of ADR, international and domestic commercial arbitration and mediation, and managing costs in ADR; frequent trainer and lecturer on arbitration, mediation and e-discovery
- JAMS, 2006-Present
- Associate General Counsel and Vice President, Southern California Edison and Edison International, 1999-2005
- Partner at major international law firms (Morrison & Foerster; Paul Hastings; Fried Frank), 1981-1999
- United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division: various positions including Chief of the Los Angeles office, Trial Attorney, and Special Assistant to the Assistant Attorney General
- Law Clerk to Judge Alfred T. Goodwin, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School
- Editor, Harvard Journal on Legislation
- BA, Economics and Mathematics, New College
- Recognized as "an excellent mediator and a great listener."
- Chambers USA, 2021
- Recognized as "very capable and very responsible."
- Chambers USA, 2016
- “The breadth of her experience prior to becoming a mediator gives her a sense of how clients react to things.”
- Prominent Attorney
- “You walk in and right away, you know she’s ready to roll up her sleeves and get into a case with you.”
- Prominent Attorney
- “She understood and tackled [the issues] quickly. She was very efficient.”
- Prominent Attorney
- “Thank you for your dilligent work and follow up on this case. Your continued dedication and effors went well above and beyond of what we typically receive from a mediator.”
- Prominent Attorney
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More