Barbara A. Reeves, Esq., CEDS (Certified E-Discovery Specialist) is a highly regarded and well-respected mediator and arbitrator. She is a quick study, prepared, personable, creative, and flexible.
As an arbitrator, Barbara Reeves is known to be fair, practical, and not afraid to make tough decisions. As a mediator, she is strong, good at listening and reading people, and a tenacious closer. She is known for her ability to quickly establish rapport with parties and counsel and enable them to recognize their legal risks. She is known for her ability to connect and communicate with clients emotionally involved with their positions and usher parties toward mutually acceptable solutions.
Before becoming a full-time neutral, Barbara Reeves was a litigator for more than 30 years, with the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division in Washington, D.C. and Los Angeles, a partner at national law firms and Associate General Counsel and Vice President for Southern California Edison and Edison International.
Barbara Reeves is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the College of Commercial Arbitrators, and a certified mediator with the International Mediation Institute. She received her J.D. cum laude from Harvard Law School.
- Mediated claims for copyright infringement involving film and music properties in the US.
- Arbitrated claim between film producer and investors arising from production of independent film
- Mediated copyright claims involving video games
- Mediated copyright infringement claims involving sampling in the music industry
- Copyright infringement claim involving a television commercial
- Dispute between recording artist and record label
- Partnership dispute between current and former partners in entertainment management company
- Disputes between personal manager and talent
- Dispute involving union and entertainment industry pension fund
- Competition clams and licensing disputes among studios using common antipiracy technology
- Profit participation disputes between talent and studios
- Profit participation dispute involving several cast members in syndicated program
- Dispute between actor and sponsor over use of a television commercial
- Contract dispute involving licensing issues in television syndication
- Trademark and contractual claims among members of musical group
- Idea submission claim involving the title song used in a television series
- Wrongful termination of an entertainment industry executive
- Stock option dispute by executive who moved to take a new job and was terminated before vesting
- SafeSport Arbitration Panel for US Olympic (USOC) 47 sport National Governing Bodies (NGBs)
- Mediated breach of contract claim between sports channel and cable network
- Mediated discrimination claims brought by girls’ softball league against a municipality
- Mediated claims arising out of series of the settlement of an antitrust case involving the single-entity issue of a sports league and its allocation of streaming rights
- Mediated claims brought by purchasers of elite show jumping horses against sellers for misrepresentation
- Mediated a copyright dispute between a race track broadcaster and his prior employer
- Arbitrated claims brought by athletes against trainer for fraud and breach of contract
- Arbitrated disputes involving claims of abuse of athletes by coaches and others
- Arbitrated commercial dispute between sponsor and athlete related to sponsorship