Hon. Kathleen A. Roberts (Ret.)
served as a United States Magistrate Judge in the Southern District of New York from 1985 to 1995 before joining JAMS as a mediator and arbitrator. She frequently speaks to bar associations and other professional groups regarding alternative dispute resolution, including mediation of intellectual property disputes. Both on the bench and as a JAMS panelist, Judge Roberts has had extensive experience in mediating, adjudicating, and supervising discovery in all types of intellectual property disputes including copyright, trademark, unfair competition, and patent cases.
- Copyright and trademark infringement action by an internationally recognized jewelry designer against merchants in Manhattan's jewelry center
- False advertising dispute between makers of designer and discount fragrances
- Patent case involving the design of a nationally known brand of sports shoes
- Copyright case involving Ruth Orkin’s famous photograph "American Girl in Italy"
- Appointed by the federal district court for the District of Columbia to resolve privilege claims in patent litigation between two of the largest U.S. telecommunications companies
- Served as a judge in two mock “Markman” hearings, in cases involving computer design and memory circuitry
- Served as an appellate judge in the mock argument of a case before the Federal Circuit involving pharmaceutical patents
- Tried an action brought by a national restaurant chain against a franchisee, alleging breach of franchise agreements and trademark and copyright violations