Hon. Kathleen A. Roberts (Ret.)
served as a United States Magistrate Judge in the Southern District of New York from 1985 to 1995 where she presided over trials, supervised discovery, and conducted settlement conferences in thousands of commercial, employment, insurance, securities, intellectual property, product liability, and environmental cases. Since joining JAMS in 1995, Judge Roberts has mediated and arbitrated hundreds of disputes involving parties and companies from around the world, including Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the United States.
Judge Roberts is an Adjunct Professor at New York University School of Law, where she teaches negotiation, mediation and arbitration as part of a semester-long course on Alternative Dispute Resolution. Judge Roberts frequently speaks to bar associations and other professional groups and teaches continuing legal education courses regarding Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Representative International Arbitrations
- Breach of contract dispute between American software manufacturer and its Taiwanese distributor
- Insurance coverage dispute involving the application of policy exclusions to the failure of a bridge in Panama
- Breach of contract and employment dispute involving alleged customs violations regarding the importation of children’s bedroom furniture from China
- Breach of contract dispute involving private security services in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Breach of contract dispute regarding risk default insurance for credit extended on purchases of medical equipment in South America
- Dispute between partners in numerous business ventures in Russia and the former Soviet Union
Representative International Mediations
- Dispute between investors and operators of a power plant in China
- Breach of contract action brought by a German doctor against an international venture capital firm, alleging failure to fund the development of managed care practices in Europe
- National origin discrimination action brought by American employees terminated by Japanese corporation