Hon. Elaine Rushing (Ret.) is a full time neutral at JAMS and has a extensive amount of experience resolving employment disputes including claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, sexual harassment, and wage and hour issues. Prior to becoming a neutral, she served on the Sonoma County Superior Court bench for nearly two decades and has the distinction of being the first woman appointed as judge on the Sonoma County Superior Court. Judge Rushing is known for being able to quickly grasp complex facts, for being well prepared, and for listening carefully to both sides to quickly synthesize the facts to achieve a fair resolution.
- Mediated suit involving claims of harassment, intimidation, assaults, batteries, infliction of emotional distress, gender and national origin discrimination in violation of FEHA, and violation of civil rights
- Handled numerous wrongful termination and discrimination employment matters, some with millions of dollars in damages claims
- Mediated wrongful termination case alleging sex and race discrimination, hostile work environment, retaliation, and Labor Code section 1120.5 whistleblower protection
- Mediated 16-plaintiff, 3-county wage and hour dispute against major child care corporation in which plaintiff on-site managers alleged they were wrongfully classified as exempt, at a loss of millions of dollars of overtime pay
- Handled multi-million dollar case involving suit by county health care caseworker who alleged county discontinued accommodation of worker’s psychiatric condition, resulting in claimed permanent medical disability including depression, panic, fainting spells, trauma, embarrassment and loss of self-esteem
- Settled suit for wrongful termination by employee of national warehouse chain in which plaintiff claimed sexual harassment, sexual discrimination, and wrongful termination.
- Resolved case brought by former coach of women’s college baseball team who claimed inequities in staffing, facilities and job demands between the men’s and women’s athletics programs