Mark E. Segall, Esq. arbitrates and mediates complex commercial disputes. He has extensive experience managing litigation and handling difficult, high profile financial services matters worldwide for the two decades at JPMorgan Chase (JPMC) and its predecessor firms. Mr. Segall possesses a thorough understanding of the complex issues involved in resolving financial industry disputes, the result of having served as JPMC’s Head of Litigation, Senior Vice President, and Associate General Counsel from 2003 until 2010. The litigation spanned JPMC’s six businesses -- Investment Banking, Retail Financial Services, Card Services, Commercial Banking, Treasury & Security Services, and Asset Management. The claims ran the full gamut from the most high profile securities and antitrust cases to consumer class actions, employment matters, and international litigation and arbitration. All litigation settlements worldwide required Mr. Segall’s involvement and approval. Mr. Segall negotiated with a wide range of institutional litigants including hedge funds, insurance companies, public pension funds, other investment banking firms, patent holders, real estate firms, trustees and creditors’ committees in bankruptcies, and Fortune 500 companies.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Mr. Segall is widely recognized as one of the world’s leading experts on the evaluation of litigation risk, settlement strategy, and mediation of cases involving financial services firms. He has been an active speaker at industry and litigation conferences and a participant in court-appointed focus groups. He is a member of the JAMS Financial Markets Group. Mr. Segall has been engaged in the resolution of a wide variety of complex matters, both international and domestic.
- The successful mediation of a complex international matter arising under both Cayman Island and Canadian law involving an alleged Ponzi scheme and resulting litigation alleging, among other things, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and negligence. The plaintiffs included those charged with the liquidation of the funds at issue, and the defendants included a major financial institution, former directors of the funds, the company responsible for administration of the funds, and a major accounting firm that audited the funds.
- The successful mediation of a trademark dispute involving who had the right to sell certain grocery products in Asia in light of agreements that were reached many years earlier when a major corporation engaged in the divestiture of certain assets across the globe.
- Responsible for all worldwide litigation involving Enron including the litigation in the United Kingdom of a case brought successfully against West LB to enforce collection under a US $165 million letter of credit. Negotiated the settlement in Enron following mediation with the bank lenders and purported successors-in-interests who together held over US $1 billion in Enron bank debt.
- Responsible for the successful litigation brought by JPMorgan and its predecessor firms in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia involving hundreds of millions of US dollars of insurance company credit support for certain film financing.
- Responsible for litigation and arbitration spanning a vast variety of subjects in numerous jurisdictions including but not limited to the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, and other countries worldwide. Was instrumental in developing the litigation strategy and tactics used in those cases.
- Set and maintained appropriate litigation reserves for all litigation worldwide and was responsible for litigation disclosure both inside and outside the Firm.