Mr. Segall is available to conduct virtual mediations, arbitrations and other ADR proceedings on Zoom and other online platforms.
Mark E. Segall, Esq. is widely recognized as one of the world’s leading experts on the evaluation of litigation risk, settlement strategy and mediation of cases involving financial services and complex commercial disputes. Mr. Segall has mediated and arbitrated hundreds of domestic and international complex disputes since joining JAMS in 2010. He has vast experience in many areas of law including: employment, securities, financial markets, insurance, real estate and intellectual property.
Mr. Segall’s expertise in these areas derives from his two decades of extensive experience managing litigation and handling difficult, high profile financial services matters worldwide for JPMorgan Chase (JPMC) and its predecessor firms as well as his experience in private practice and at JAMS. Mr. Segall served as JPMC’s Head of Litigation, Senior Vice President, and Associate General Counsel from 2003 until 2010. Litigation matters ran the full gamut from the most high profile securities and antitrust cases to consumer class actions, employment matters, and international litigation and arbitration. All significant litigation settlements globally required Mr. Segall’s involvement and approval. He has been an active speaker at industry and litigation conferences and a participant in court-appointed focus groups.
- The successful mediation of a complex international matter arising under both Cayman Island and Canadian law involving an alleged Ponzi scheme and resulting litigation alleging, among other things, fraud, breach of fiduciary duty, and negligence. The plaintiffs included those charged with the liquidation of the funds at issue, and the defendants included a major financial institution, former directors of the funds, the company responsible for administration of the funds, and a major accounting firm that audited the funds.
- The successful mediation of a trademark dispute involving who had the right to sell certain grocery products in Asia in light of agreements that were reached many years earlier when a major corporation engaged in the divestiture of certain assets across the globe.
- Arbitration involving a claim for breach of contract of an options agreement based upon the merger of a United States company with a European company
- Arbitrations concerning whether senior executives of United States subsidiary of a foreign corporation were properly terminated for “cause”
- Arbitration involving the disposition of artwork owned by an Asian gallery by an auction house located in the United States
- International and cross-border mediations including matters involving executive changes at large multinational corporations and employment disputes concerning the termination and separation of senior management employees working for global entities headquartered in Europe
- Responsible for all worldwide litigation involving Enron including the litigation in the United Kingdom of a case brought successfully against West LB to enforce collection under a US $165 million letter of credit. Negotiated the settlement in Enron following mediation with the bank lenders and purported successors-in-interests who together held over US $1 billion in Enron bank debt.
- Responsible for the successful litigation brought by JPMorgan and its predecessor firms in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia involving hundreds of millions of US dollars of insurance company credit support for certain film financing.
- Responsible for litigation and arbitration spanning a vast variety of subjects in numerous jurisdictions including but not limited to the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Argentina, Uruguay, and other countries worldwide. Was instrumental in developing the litigation strategy and tactics used in those cases.
Set and maintained appropriate litigation reserves for all litigation worldwide and was responsible for litigation disclosure both inside and outside the Firm.