As a Monterey County Superior Court Judge for over 25 years, Hon. Richard Silver (Ret.) presided over the Family Law department in excess of seven years and managed, tried, and settled hundreds of family law matters. Since joining JAMS as a full-time neutral in June 2002, Judge Silver has served as a private judge or mediator in numerous family law matters and other related family partnership or business disputes.
While on the Superior Court, Judge Silver served as chairperson of the Judicial Council Advisory Committee on Family Court Services. In that time, he appeared on “Good Morning America” as a judicial representative in a week long program on Divorce in America. Additionally, for seven years, Judge Silver – with the assistance of Family Law attorneys - organized and presented an annual Family Law update program. Judge Silver also initiated and organized a special program on Issues of Child Custody, and has served as faculty in various Family Law programs.
Judge Silver has handled the following representative matters at JAMS:
- Resolved a complex, multi-million dollar dissolution and property dispute involving choice of law, separate property, and property valuation issues
- Handled a complex dissolution, including custody and spousal/child support issues, regarding valuation of medical partnership and entitlements to an alleged medical patent procedure
- Resolved a complex and sensitive family partnership dissolution involving multiple million dollar international properties
- Handled a complicated and emotional division of property and spousal support dispute
- Resolved a complex and emotional marital dissolution and family partnership dispute involving complex valuation of the significant interrelated family property holdings
- Handled a complicated and substantial community property division dispute
- Resolved a high value dissolution of a long term marriage including separate property claims by each party
- Handled an emotional dissolution of parties who never married but merely had written agreements regarding assets and property
- Settled an emotional dispute involving community property and valuation issues