The Honourable Justice Judith A. Snider (Ret.) brings over a decade of experience as a judge in the Federal Court (Canada) to her ADR practice. As a member of that court, Justice Snider was prolific in intellectual property matters and, in particular, patent litigation. Before ascending to the bench, she was successively general counsel, member, and vice chair of the National Energy Board based in Calgary, Alberta.
Widely regarded as a “lawyer’s judge,” Justice Snider is passionate about trying cases, committed to understanding parties’ issues and to resolving them in a fair and efficient way.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
Justice Snider has extensive experience in the resolution of complex disputes in the following areas:
- Administrative Law
- Energy/Utility (Oil and Gas)
- Government/Public Agency (Regulatory)
- Intellectual Property (Copyright, Trademark, and Patent)
- UHA Research Society v. Canada (Attorney General), 2013 F.C.J. No. 199, 2013 FC 169, 2014 FCA 134 (aquaculture licensing, common law right to fish)
- Empresa Cubana Del Tabaco v. Tequila Cuervo S.A. Dec. V., 2013 FC 1010 (use of media references to establish confusion in trademark cases)
- Douglas v. Canada (Attorney General), 2013 FC 451 (injunctive relief in judicial discipline proceedings)
- Teva Canada Limited v. Sanofi-Aventis Canada Inc., 2012 FC 552; Apotex Inc. v Sanofi-Aventis Canada Inc., 2012 FC 553 (damages in action under s. 8 of the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations)
- Merck v. Apotex, 2010 FC 1265 (patent infringement action)
- Laboratories Servier et al. v. Apotex Inc., 2008 FC 825 (patent infringement action)
- Jay-Lor International Inc. v. Penta Farm Systems Ltd., 2007 FC 358 (damages in patent infringement action)
- Canada (Minister of Citizenship and Immigration) v. Skomatchuk, 2006 FC 994, (Citizenship revocation; evidentiary issues in WWII documents)