As a lawyer, Judge of the Superior Court, and as a Presiding Justice of the California Court of Appeal, Justice Stone has litigated, tried, presided over, settled, participated in and authored appellate opinions concerning many varieties and types of complex business and commercial disputes.
Since joining JAMS as a mediator and arbitrator, Justice Stone has successfully applied his negotiation skills to the settlement of complex business and commercial cases.
- Interpretation of complex settlement agreements between multiple parties, including public agencies and insurance companies
- Mediation of a complex dispute between subcontractors on a large dam project
- Mediation of a dispute between a businessman and his alleged franchisor
- Mediation of a dispute between CALTRANS and a pipe contractor
- Resolution of a dispute between attorneys and partners of a joint venture business
- Resolution of a serious dispute between the buyer and seller of a gas station and car wash over environmental issues
- Settlement of a lawsuit between a sophisticated technology company and departing key employees who set up a competing company
- Settlements of a number of commercial disputes between real estate brokers and parties to real estate transactions