Hon. Steven J. Stone (Ret.) has extensive experience successfully handling high-profile entertainment matters involving the music, film, television, sports and media industries. With more than 20 years on the superior court and state appellate bench and over 14 years at JAMS, he has handled all types of civil disputes and litigation by way of trial, review and alternative resolution.
Justice Stone has the keen ability to instill confidence in clients, identify key issues, and bring parties together by expertly managing expectations and diffusing sensitive situations. Meticulous and determined, he is known for creative settlements and his persistent approach to resolve disputes in all areas of civil litigation.
- Dispute over music industry related copyright infringement and royalties
- Entertainment mediation involving television series net profits between series lead actor and production company
- Mediated breach of contract claims involving adult film production
- Mediation between television show producer and production company involving claims of delinquent compensation following audit
- Mediation involving allegations of name and image misappropriation by Academy award-winning actress against an international watch company
- Mediation of television show royalties dispute between production company and actor
- Music industry royalty mediation between singer-songwriter and major music label
- Royalties dispute concerning Emmy-nominated actor share of profits from television show syndication
- Sexual harassment arbitration involving production company
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers in America, 2020-2022
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer, Alternative Dispute Resolution Category, Best Lawyers in America, 2009-2019
- Recognized as a Top California Neutral, Daily Journal, 2012
- Selected as one of California's Most Sought-After Neutrals, Daily Journal Extra, 2002
- Trial Judge of the Year Award, Ventura County Trial Lawyers Association, 1980 and 1982
- Roger J. Traynor Appellate Justice of the Year Award by the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, 1998
- Faculty of the Council on Judicial Education and Research and the California Judges Association teaching and training judges
- State Bar Board of Governors Special Task Force on Discovery
- "The Power of Pester," Daily Journal, ADR Profile, April 12, 2013
- Received comprehensive training in JAMS in-house Entertainment Law workshops including, but not limited to:
- "Net Profits and New Media: The Future of Entertainment Litigation"
- "Legal Issues and Developments in Video Game Law"
- Presiding Justice, California District Court of Appeal, 1982-1999
- Judge, Ventura County Superior Court, 1976-1982 (Supervising Judge, Law and Motion, 1977-1980)
- Private practice, Principal, Beach, Stone, Smith, Drescher & Romney, Santa Paula, CA, 1962-1976
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law, 1961; Associate Editor, Hastings Law Journal
- A.B., Medical Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, 1958
- "Justice Stone was incredible. The process worked perfectly. There is nothing I could recommend that would have made anything better."
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More