- As the Presiding Justice of the Second District Court of Appeal, Division Six, from 1982 until January 1999, Justice Stone heard numerous cases involving allegations of medical and dental malpractice, products liability, as well as non-medical malpractice and personal injury.
- Following his appointment to the Ventura Superior Court in 1976, Justice Stone presided over numerous personal injury cases, including one against a major pharmaceutical company alleging liability for the catastrophic side effects of prescription drugs.
- From 1961 to 1976, Justice Stone was engaged in the general practice of law in Santa Paula, California, emphasizing medical-legal matters. He handled several cases involving alleged surgical malpractice, hospital liability for catastrophic injuries, non-medical malpractice and serious personal injury matters.
- Justice Stone's mediation practice focuses, among other things, on the resolution of complex personal injury and medical malpractice matters. Recently, he was involved in the settlement of a claim brought by a plaintiff who suffered serious spinal injuries as a result of a defectively designed seat belt.
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers in America, 2020-2022
- Recognized as a Best Lawyer, Alternative Dispute Resolution Category, Best Lawyers in America, 2009-2019
- Recognized as a Top California Neutral, Daily Journal, 2012
- Selected as one of California's Most Sought-After Neutrals, Daily Journal Extra, 2002
- Trial Judge of the Year Award, Ventura County Trial Lawyers Association, 1980 and 1982
- Roger J. Traynor Appellate Justice of the Year Award by the Consumer Attorneys Association of Los Angeles, 1998
- Faculty of the Council on Judicial Education and Research and the California Judges Association teaching and training judges
- State Bar Board of Governors Special Task Force on Discovery
- "The Power of Pester," Daily Journal, ADR Profile, April 12, 2013
- Received comprehensive training in JAMS in-house Entertainment Law workshops including, but not limited to:
- "Net Profits and New Media: The Future of Entertainment Litigation"
- "Legal Issues and Developments in Video Game Law"
- Presiding Justice, California District Court of Appeal, 1982-1999
- Judge, Ventura County Superior Court, 1976-1982 (Supervising Judge, Law and Motion, 1977-1980)
- Private practice, Principal, Beach, Stone, Smith, Drescher & Romney, Santa Paula, CA, 1962-1976
- J.D., University of California, Hastings College of Law, 1961; Associate Editor, Hastings Law Journal
- A.B., Medical Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, 1958
- "Justice Stone was incredible. The process worked perfectly. There is nothing I could recommend that would have made anything better."
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More