Judge Swartwood has mediated numerous actions involving municipalities and townships and is widely known and respected for his ability to settle challenging cases with a combination of sensitivity and an understanding of the law. As a result of Judge Swartwood’s prior experience as a Selectman and his involvement as special counsel to two separate municipalities, he has been selected to mediate numerous cases in which municipalities have been a party. As former Chief Magistrate Judge of the U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, Judge Swartwood has more than 40 years of trial experience in virtually all areas of the law.
- Mediated a municipality rate settlement case
- Mediated civil rights/zoning case involving housing for various groups within a municipality
- Mediated personal property case between a utility and a municipality
- Mediated several civil rights actions against municipalities
- Mediated several zoning disputes involving shopping centers and utilities
- Mediated two complex construction cases involving municipalities