Judge Swartwood has successfully mediated a wide variety of Intellectual Property disputes since joining JAMS in 2006. Judge Swartwood has more than 40 years of trial experience including 29 years as a trial lawyer where he primarily tried complex business related cases. Most recently, as a Federal Magistrate Judge for the U.S. District Court for 12 years, he presided over cases in virtually all areas of the law including several trials involving IP issues which went to judgment. For seven years, he has actively participated in settling cases through the Federal District Court’s ADR program.
- Patent violation dispute between two large US service companies including whether product manufactured violated the other’s patent
- Trademark infringement dispute between two competing medical labs over software installed in blood analyzing machine
- Patent infringement dispute over patented technology and other claims
- Copyright infringement between NBA and private individual
- Arbitrated alleged patent dispute between individual photographer and international corporation