Judge Swartwood has mediated a wide variety of personal injury claims while at JAMS. Judge Swartwood is widely known and respected for his ability to settle challenging cases with a combination of sensitivity and an understanding of the law. As former Chief Magistrate Judge of the U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, Judge Swartwood has more than 40 years of trial experience. Federal Judge Swartwood was a trial lawyer for 29 years where he primarily tried complex business related cases. Most recently, as a trial judge for 12 years in the federal court system, he has presided over cases in virtually all areas of the law and for seven years, he has actively participated in settling cases through the Federal District Court’s ADR program.
- Arbitrated and mediated numerous automobile tort claims
- Mediated settlement of claim by patron of an entertainment venue who was injured by another patron who jumped on stage and was consequently pursued by venue security
- Mediated slip and fall resulting in death on private premises, involved issue of whether victim was a trespasser or a guest on the property
- Successfully mediated many construction site accident claims
- Successfully mediated wrongful death claim