Judge Swartwood had successfully mediated a variety of professional liability/malpractice disputes since joining JAMS in 2006 and is widely known and respected for his ability to settle challenging cases with a combination of sensitivity and understanding of the law. As former Chief Magistrate Judge of the U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts, Judge Swartwood has more than 40 years of trial experience. Federal Judge Swartwood was a trial lawyer for 29 years where he primarily tried complex business related cases. Most recently, as a trial judge for 12 years in the federal court system, he has presided over cases in virtually all areas of the law and for seven years, he has actively participated in settling cases through the Federal District Court’s ADR program. Judge Swartwood is former vice chair of the Massachusetts Office of Bar Counsel Board of Bar Overseers and has represented many attorneys before the Board of Bar Overseers and the Supreme Judicial Court.
- Mediated a dispute between a medical doctor and insurance company including issues of alleged malicious prosecution
- Mediated a negligence action against a large equipment appraiser including issue of alleged collusion between several appraisers regarding equipment values
- Mediated numerous legal malpractice disputes
- Mediated several disputes involving negligence of architects and engineers
- Successfully mediated a wrongful death action concerning death of a small child involving allegations of neglect against Emergency Medical Technologists who were administering emergency care