R. Wayne Thorpe, Esq. has been a full-time ADR neutral since 1998. He has served as mediator, arbitrator, facilitator, special master, and case evaluator in roughly 2000 cases in at least 15 states, including many high stakes and complex cases, class actions, MDL’s, and other large scale multi-party cases, and more than 500 arbitrations as sole arbitrator, panel chair, or party-appointed arbitrator.
Mr. Thorpe was named by the Best Lawyers in America publication as the 2015 Atlanta Arbitration Lawyer of the Year and the 2012 Atlanta Mediation Lawyer of the Year, and he has been recognized by International Who’s Who of Commercial Mediation, Best Lawyers in America and Georgia Super Lawyers for a number of years.
He is Past Chair of the ABA Dispute Resolution Section, and he has been a leader in ADR ethics and other policy matters both nationally and in Georgia for many years. He has also served as an adjunct professor and guest presenter in ADR courses in several law schools. Before he became a full-time neutral, Mr. Thorpe was a litigation partner in a large Atlanta law firm.
- Arbitration of putative consumer class action against financial institution
- Mediations and arbitrations in FLSA collective actions including claims by home health workers
- Mediation of MDL consumer class action against major cable service provider alleging tying between premium cable services and required rental of set top box
- Mediation of putative class action of Medicaid providers and enrollees against state Medicaid agencies alleging half billion dollar underpayments for developmentally disabled services
- Mediation of class action in Texas asserting negligence, fraud, RICO, and ERISA claims against pharmacy chain alleging failure to refund third-party payers for partially filled prescriptions; appointed by federal court in Texas
- Mediation of consumer class actions against financial institutions alleging violation of state Debt Adjustment statute
- Mediation of class action against hospital operator for overcharges to patients
- Mediation of class action by physicians against health insurers for under payment
- Mediation of class action against pharmacy chain involving alleged invasion of privacy in transfer of prescription and patient info to new pharmacy
- Class action claims for alleged racial discrimination in providing government loans and benefits: adjudicated 100+ individual claims after class certification and settlement
- Mediation of multi-plaintiff, putative class action employment cases
- Mediation in multiple cases including a class action, involving environmental claims arising from alleged PCB contamination of river basin and adjacent properties
Other Multi-Party Cases
- Arbitration of multi-party case between bank and 75+ borrowers involving disputes over millions of dollars of loans on mountain lots in North Carolina
- Mediation of claims brought by estates of nine rock/jazz musicians against restaurant franchisor and 100+ franchisees arising from use of images, songs, and lyrics in stores and in advertising; related insurance coverage disputes with multiple insurers
- Mediation of 20 claims for death and injury arising from school bus single vehicle wreck
- Mediations in several disputes between large condo homeowner groups and developers and builders over construction and financial issues
- Mediations of over 20 claims against public company nursing home operator in Chapter 11 pursuant to order of appointment by U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- Multi-plaintiff (about 25 plaintiffs) environmental case in middle Georgia complaining of landfill runoff; plaintiff properties acquired through mediated settlement; arbitration of distribution of settlement funds
- Multi-plaintiff case (about 20 property owners) against power companies for alleged noise pollution from power plants in west Georgia
- Mediation of construction defect case involving major urban redevelopment multi-use project with tens of millions in claims involving owner, general, 10+ subs and 10+ insurers