R. Wayne Thorpe, Esq. has been a full-time ADR neutral since 1998. He has served as mediator, arbitrator, facilitator, special master, and case evaluator in roughly 2000 cases in at least 15 states, including many high stakes and complex cases, class actions, MDL’s, and other large scale multi-party cases, and more than 500 arbitrations as sole arbitrator, panel chair, or party-appointed arbitrator.
Mr. Thorpe was named by the Best Lawyers in America publication as the 2015 Atlanta Arbitration Lawyer of the Year and the 2012 Atlanta Mediation Lawyer of the Year, and he has been recognized by International Who’s Who of Commercial Mediation, Best Lawyers in America and Georgia Super Lawyers for a number of years.
He is Past Chair of the ABA Dispute Resolution Section, and he has been a leader in ADR ethics and other policy matters both nationally and in Georgia for many years. He has also served as an adjunct professor and guest presenter in ADR courses in several law schools. Before he became a full-time neutral, Mr. Thorpe was a litigation partner in a large Atlanta law firm.
- Bank claim against insurer on financial services fidelity bond for actions of outside closing attorney
- Environmental, toxic tort, and product liability claims involving coverage disputes
- Construction defect cases involving CGL, professional liability and excess coverage issues
- Multi-million dollar coverage dispute for allegedly defective computer system
- Health Care industry insurance coverage disputes including:
- allegations of fraudulent diagnosis of lung diseases by a physician
- alleged murder of patient by a hospital’s nurse
- claim by managed care company for losses resulting from lawsuits for late payment of benefits
- med mal coverage for hospitals, doctors, nursing homes
- allegations of fraud in sale of nursing home group
- allegations of fraudulent diagnoses by physician
- Coverage dispute surrounding multi-plaintiff, 100+ defendant, trademark, copyright, and publicity dispute with several insurers
- Dispute between two health insurers arising from sale of book of health insurance business, reinsurance agreement, and settlement of earlier claims
- Life, medical, and disability insurance coverage, including complex mental health disability claim involving physician
- Disputes surrounding sales of interests in life insurance policies
- Commercial dispute between insurer and premium financiers arising from agent theft of premiums
- Various auto and homeowners coverage disputes
- Pre-suit claim by casualty insurer against claims management/adjustment firm for improper handling
- Lawsuit brought by work comp fund against adjusters/managers for alleged improper claims handling