Eric Van Loon brings years of experience to every resolution. A full-time dispute resolution professional since 1989, he has more than 20,000 hours of experience in 42 states and eight countries as a mediator, arbitrator, speaker, and trainer specializing in complex, multi-party, high-stakes disputes and is listed in "Best Lawyers in America
" for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Van Loon has experience managing and deciding complex arbitrations as a sole arbitrator, panel member, panel chair, and party-appointed arbitrator in a wide variety of matters, including commercial, construction, class action, environmental, franchise, health care, software, and multi-million dollar intellectual property and public policy matters.
- Class Action. Arbitrated more than 300 claims under federal court settlement of African-American farmers' nationwide discrimination suit against U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.
- Commercial. Party-appointed panelist in corporate joint-venture dispute re distribution of synfuel tax benefits. Sole arbitrator in eight-figure contract dispute between two multinational corporations. Sole arbitrator in tri-state company $10+ million claim against a nationwide firm for contract breach, fraud, Robinson-Patman, and state statutory violations.
- Construction. Chaired panel re responsibility for multiple NFL Ford Field construction and design claims. Contractor-property owner dispute concerning road/foundation work, water supply, contract terms, work value, satisfaction, and discharge. Public construction project contractor-subcontractor dispute re amount/quality. High-end residential contractor dispute.
- Employment. Sole arbitrator in international parent company dismissal of U.S.-subsidiary CEO.
- Environment. Party-appointed panelist in high-eight-figure dispute among large corporate PRPs at upper-midwest NPL superfund site. Sole arbitrator re responsibility for LA petroleum refinery remediation. Conducted proceeding in USDOJ-sole PRP med/arb re complex national security statutory defense. First allocator in USEPA Superfund Allocation Streamlining Pilot Program, including among federal (DOD), municipal, and private defendants. Six-month process included data gathering (including witness interviews) and directing neutral technical analyst.
- Health Care/Insurance. Panel chair for two hospitals' $20+ million contract/statutory claim against a major insurer regarding claim-handling procedures and determinations.
- Intellectual Property. Chaired U.S. Copyright Office arbitration panel to set first artist/record company royalty rates for Internet-streamed music. 30+ parties (webcasters, broadcasters, performers, record companies) presented 60+ witnesses; 41 hearing days; 135-page decision.
- Landlord-Tenant. Dispute between landlord and commercial tenant regarding collateral damages allegedly resulting from lease termination.
- Software System. Party-appointed panelist in an eight-figure energy company claim against the developer/provider of an integrated ERP software system.