- Class Action. Arbitrated more than 300 claims under federal court settlement of African-American farmers' nationwide discrimination suit against U.S. Dept. of Agriculture.
- Commercial. Party-appointed panelist in corporate joint-venture dispute re distribution of synfuel tax benefits. Sole arbitrator in eight-figure contract dispute between two multinational corporations. Sole arbitrator in tri-state company $10+ million claim against a nationwide firm for contract breach, fraud, Robinson-Patman, and state statutory violations.
- Construction. Chaired panel re responsibility for multiple NFL Ford Field construction and design claims. Contractor-property owner dispute concerning road/foundation work, water supply, contract terms, work value, satisfaction, and discharge. Public construction project contractor-subcontractor dispute re amount/quality. High-end residential contractor dispute.
- Employment. Sole arbitrator in international parent company dismissal of U.S.-subsidiary CEO.
- Environment. Party-appointed panelist in high-eight-figure dispute among large corporate PRPs at upper-midwest NPL superfund site. Sole arbitrator re responsibility for LA petroleum refinery remediation. Conducted proceeding in USDOJ-sole PRP med/arb re complex national security statutory defense. First allocator in USEPA Superfund Allocation Streamlining Pilot Program, including among federal (DOD), municipal, and private defendants. Six-month process included data gathering (including witness interviews) and directing neutral technical analyst.
- Health Care/Insurance. Panel chair for two hospitals' $20+ million contract/statutory claim against a major insurer regarding claim-handling procedures and determinations.
- Intellectual Property. Chaired U.S. Copyright Office arbitration panel to set first artist/record company royalty rates for Internet-streamed music. 30+ parties (webcasters, broadcasters, performers, record companies) presented 60+ witnesses; 41 hearing days; 135-page decision.
- Landlord-Tenant. Dispute between landlord and commercial tenant regarding collateral damages allegedly resulting from lease termination.
- Software System. Party-appointed panelist in an eight-figure energy company claim against the developer/provider of an integrated ERP software system.
- Recognized internationally by Who's Who Legal: Mediation, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2022
- Distinguished Fellow, International Association of Mediators
- Named "Entertainment Industry Power Mediator" by Hollywood Reporter Esquire
- Elected Town Moderator, Concord, MA
- Member: ABA Sections on Dispute Resolution, International Law; Association for Conflict Resolution; FDIC, USEPA Superfund Pilot Program, and Library of Congress Copyright Arbitration Royalty panels
- Board Member: MA Bar Foundation, Schweitzer Fellowship, Jericho Road Project
- Lecturer on ADR at national/international forums: ABA, American Corporate Counsel Association, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, International Bar Association, World Economic Forum Mid-East North African Qatar Summit, Nigerian International Insurance Summit keynote, and in Canada, Hong Kong, Japan; published in ABA Dispute Resolution magazine
- Massachusetts Undersecretary, Economic Affairs; Assistant Secretary, Environmental Affairs
- Seven-year federal litigation legal practice
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1971
- M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1968
- A.B., Phi Beta Kappa, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1967
- "The tenacity, energy and diplomacy you brought to the negotiation allowed you to be successful where many earlier efforts had failed."
- COO of Major Company
- Civil Rights
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Engineering and Construction
- Entertainment and Sports
- Federal Law
- Governmental/Public Agency
- Health Care
- Indian Law
- Intellectual Property
- International & Cross-Border
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Professional Liability
- Real Property
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More