Eric Van Loon brings years of experience to every resolution. A full-time dispute resolution professional since 1989, he has more than 20,000 hours of experience in 42 states and eight countries as a mediator, arbitrator, speaker, and trainer specializing in complex, multi-party, high-stakes disputes and is listed in "Best Lawyers in America
" for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Arbitration. Sole arbitrator in eight-figure multinational oil company contract dispute; international company termination of U.S. subsidiary CEO; commercial tenant claim re lease termination damages. Chaired U.S. Copyright Office streamed internet music royalty panel, NFL Detroit Lions stadium construction claims panel, multi-hospital claims against major insuror. Panel member in energy company/integrated software system claim, joint venture synfuel tax credits allocation.
- Banking. Multi-million dollar dispute between national bank and contractor providing services at 1,000+ locations. Retail loan originator dispute re fees on FDIC loans after bank failure. Foreign bank mortgage holder fraud claim involving changing currency exchange rates. Interest charges on repossession/refinance after merger.
- Business Dissolution. Billion dollar, 26-business division among founders and successors. Multiple principals’ dispute over value and ownership of $10 million enterprise developed over eight years (expert valuations, management v. capital contributions, tax treatment). Partnership dissolution federal court action alleging RICO violations, defamation, malfeasance.
- Defense Contractor. Settlement between high-tech manufacturer/government contractor and subcontractor over fixed-price contract performance on state-of-the-art weapons system. Issues included amount/nature/timing of data provided in an EMD (Engineering Manufacturing Development) contract, termination basis, usability of work product by substitute subcontractor.
- Holding Company. Settled claim re right to purchase multi-million dollar business from industrial holding company. Issues included company valuation, documentation of option.
- Merger. Venture capital company/manufacturing investment firm mediation over failed multi-step merger. Issues included return of $2 million initial payment, alleged fraud in inducement, major customer tortious interference, return of propriety information, potential future venture.
- Real Estate Development. $250 million mixed-use waterfront developer dispute with former land owner. Developer dispute with prestigious manufacturer/retailer tenant re long-term lease. Mall developer/anchor tenant dispute. Hotel disputes with on-site entertainment venue, franchisors, and construction contractors. Brownfield developer regulatory disputes.
- Reps/Warranties. Mediated $10 million dollar venture capital company claim vs. former owner/seller for lost profits re customer sales contract warranties and representations.