Eric Van Loon brings years of experience to every resolution. A full-time dispute resolution professional since 1989, he has more than 20,000 hours of experience in 42 states and eight countries as a mediator, arbitrator, speaker, and trainer in complex, multi-party, high-stakes disputes and is listed in "Best Lawyers in America
" for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Van Loon has resolved many construction-related claims involving all types of structures, all types of parties, and all types of issues including contract interpretation and insurance coverage. Examples include contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, equipment manufacturers and sellers, and insurance and reinsurance carriers. Projects include commercial developments, power plants, wastewater treatment plants, highway projects, parking structures, sewer lines, housing and condominium projects, and individual residences.
- $1.7 Billion Private Construction Project. Settled $48 million in claims against 16 architecture and engineering design firms insured by London underwriters. Claims included drainage in the world's largest parking garage, transport braking systems and shell construction, structural steel, electrical systems/zones, and computer control systems.
- $400 Million NFL Football Stadium. Chaired arbitration panel addressing Detroit Lions’ Ford Stadium E&O professional liability insurance issue.
- $50 Million Power Plant Cost Overrun Claim. Dispute between owner and international contractor, 20+ subs, and engineering firms. Issues included delay claims, subsurface surprises, fuel storage, and budgetary limitations on a fixed-price contract.
- Prestige Tenant in Commercial Development. Resolved dispute between a large developer landlord and a prestigious manufacturer/retailer tenant. Issues included substantial completion certificate, force majeure, standards for building maintenance and HVAC performance, equipment heat loads, and other long-term occupancy issues.
- 20-Site Highway Project. Dispute between construction company, subcontractor, and surety company over payments under a 20-site highway project contract. Issues included other subs conduct, factual specifics of multiple claims, and surety specification compliance.
- HVAC System in Multiple-Unit Housing. Dispute with engineering company over design and construction of heating system for multi-unit housing. Issues included engineer versus contractor responsibility, whether a professional liability or a contract case, nature of reviewing expert's report, and value added during subsequent reconstruction.
- Luxury Urban Hotel. Resolved owner-developer-architect-contractor dispute over design and construction and municipal approvals for high-profile, prime location, luxury hotel.
- Municipal Sewer Lining Project. Dispute between a municipality, construction management firm, and contractor regarding replacement lining for miles of underground sewer lines.
- Municipal Wastewater Treatment Facility. Settled seven-party dispute with contractors, subs, engineering firms, equipment manufacturer, and retailer re design/construction/operation of a state-of-the-art water treatment plant. Issues included causation, prior remediation.
- New Building Construction. Owner-contractor cost overrun dispute. Issues of subsurface conditions at variance with bidding documents and site building code requirements.
- New England Waterfront Storm Resistance. Resolved dispute between owner and contractors regarding foul weather tightness of new shorefront construction.
- Shopping Mall Developer - Contractor Dispute over contract termination. Issues included allocation of responsibility for delays, permits and disposal, and winter weather impact.
- Tunneling Equipment. Settled dispute between contractor and manufacturer of specialized equipment regarding responsibility for delay resulting from equipment failure.