- Arbitration. Sole arbitrator in international company termination of U.S. subsidiary CEO. Issues included executive discretion, interaction with regulatory personnel, finance, whistle-blower claim.
- Banking. Termination of senior loan officer after bank merger. Issues included termination grounds/terms, policy differences, interpersonal dynamics, nature of public announcement.
- Biotech. Highly contentious biotech startup company termination of CEO. Issues included board factions, investor relations, proprietary information, stock options, non-disparagement.
- Discriminatory Discharge. Senior female executive dismissed for misconduct, while male colleagues retained. Alleged diabetic taunting after seizure, alleged pretextual termination.
- Division Heads. At Board request, resolved division heads-CEO dispute regarding management style, communication, inclusiveness, responsibilities, and revenue allocation among units.
- Employee Regulatory Compliance. Environmental, U.S. Patriots Act, securities trading, SEC.
- Entertainment. Eight-figure settlement between international industry-leader company and long-time senior executive; highly-charged issues of performance, severance, benefits, royalties, payouts.
- Health Care. Large medical institution/senior manager settlement of employment terms (length/compensation) and termination, including executive authority scope, citizenship status.
- Holding Company. Industrial holding company/executive settlement regarding component company purchase option. Issues of timing, valuation, termination package, representations.
- Independent Contractor. Three-way settlement between employee (later independent contractor), documentary producer, and scientific-educational institution re roles in developing/marketing/producing television programs. Corporate opportunity and officer supervisory issues.
- Professional Services. Settled extremely acrimonious dispute between firm and founder terminated for cause by management committee. Issues included grounds, founder's name use, non-compete scope, goodwill value, other senior principals, and future sale contingency.
- Sexual Abuse. Terminated employee’s child abused by company-hired support staff.
- Software. Large international company/long-time professional settlement re termination, non-compete, trade secrets, and ownership of software program developed before termination.
- Successor Ownership. Business founders/subsequent owners settlement re management responsibilities, patent/customer info ownership, consultancy vs. termination with non-compete.
- Recognized internationally by Who's Who Legal: Mediation, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2022
- Distinguished Fellow, International Association of Mediators
- Named "Entertainment Industry Power Mediator" by Hollywood Reporter Esquire
- Elected Town Moderator, Concord, MA
- Member: ABA Sections on Dispute Resolution, International Law; Association for Conflict Resolution; FDIC, USEPA Superfund Pilot Program, and Library of Congress Copyright Arbitration Royalty panels
- Board Member: MA Bar Foundation, Schweitzer Fellowship, Jericho Road Project
- Lecturer on ADR at national/international forums: ABA, American Corporate Counsel Association, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, International Bar Association, World Economic Forum Mid-East North African Qatar Summit, Nigerian International Insurance Summit keynote, and in Canada, Hong Kong, Japan; published in ABA Dispute Resolution magazine
- Massachusetts Undersecretary, Economic Affairs; Assistant Secretary, Environmental Affairs
- Seven-year federal litigation legal practice
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1971
- M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1968
- A.B., Phi Beta Kappa, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1967
- "The tenacity, energy and diplomacy you brought to the negotiation allowed you to be successful where many earlier efforts had failed."
- COO of Major Company
- Civil Rights
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Engineering and Construction
- Entertainment and Sports
- Federal Law
- Governmental/Public Agency
- Health Care
- Indian Law
- Intellectual Property
- International & Cross-Border
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Professional Liability
- Real Property
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More