Eric Van Loon brings years of experience to every resolution. A full-time dispute resolution professional since 1989, he has more than 20,000 hours of experience in 42 states and eight countries as a mediator, arbitrator, speaker, and trainer specializing in complex, multi-party, high-stakes disputes and is listed in "Best Lawyers in America
" for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Van Loon has extensive experience working with electric utility companies, power producers, coal companies, and regulated industries as a mediator, facilitator, consensus builder, and trainer.
- Arbitration. Arbitrated eight-figure multinational oil company contract dispute; arb panel member in energy company software system claim and in synfuels-related joint venture.
- Clean Air Act Requirements. Mediated dispute between MA environmental regulators and regulated industry regarding CAA compliance requirements; mediated agreement among 200+ municipalities re state reimbursement fund for CAA-required utility upgrades.
- Co-Owner Maintenance. Settled dispute among multiple utility power plant co-owners regarding financial responsibility for plant overhaul in final year of a thirty-year agreement.
- Coal Supply Dispute. Resolved dispute between a major utility and a coal mine owner over the terms and implementation of a 20-year coal supply contract.
- Construction. Co-mediated a $50 million cost overrun claim by a construction company on a state-of-the-art, multi-fuel electricity generating plant under a fixed-price contract.
- Contaminated Property Sale. Renegotiated a Purchase and Sale Agreement between a regulated-utility seller and partners in a $250 million mixed-use development, shifting environmental remediation responsibility and addressing litigation with collateral parties.
- Contract Renegotiations. Renegotiated contracts between 28 NH and VT municipalities in interstate compact with trash-to-power generation facility owner; mediated another agreement between 36 NH and VT utilities and municipalities; mediated renegotiation of six wood-plant PURPA contracts at the urging of the NH Public Utility Commission.
- Electric Generating Station. Five-party mediation among electric companies, coal owners, and mine operator re 16-year contract to use AZ coal in renovated NV plant for LA power.
- Electric Industry Restructuring. Mediated agreement on principals for MA electric industry restructuring among 18 participants, including five electric companies, independent power producers, environmentalists, and business, individual, and low-income consumer reps.
- Electric Rate Increase Application. Mediated the largest electric rate increase application in state history ($200 million annually) for Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.
- Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Sites. Mediated agreement on allocation of remediation costs at manufactured gas plant sites in Florida, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
- Teacher/Trainer/Process Design. Co-taught the Harvard Program on Negotiation (PON) Institute on alternative approaches to public utility rate-making and least cost planning; taught negotiation skills and industry restructuring to legal staff of major mid-Atlantic utility; sole private ADR provider on the Center for Public Resources (CPR) Committee to develop ADR procedures for resolving utility disputes.
- Water/Sewer. Settled protracted suit between private water utility and 4,000+ customers re rate fairness and reasonableness, capital investment needs, and future rate-setting process.