- Arbitration. Arbitrated eight-figure multinational oil company contract dispute; arb panel member in energy company software system claim and in synfuels-related joint venture.
- Clean Air Act Requirements. Mediated dispute between MA environmental regulators and regulated industry regarding CAA compliance requirements; mediated agreement among 200+ municipalities re state reimbursement fund for CAA-required utility upgrades.
- Co-Owner Maintenance. Settled dispute among multiple utility power plant co-owners regarding financial responsibility for plant overhaul in final year of a thirty-year agreement.
- Coal Supply Dispute. Resolved dispute between a major utility and a coal mine owner over the terms and implementation of a 20-year coal supply contract.
- Construction. Co-mediated a $50 million cost overrun claim by a construction company on a state-of-the-art, multi-fuel electricity generating plant under a fixed-price contract.
- Contaminated Property Sale. Renegotiated a Purchase and Sale Agreement between a regulated-utility seller and partners in a $250 million mixed-use development, shifting environmental remediation responsibility and addressing litigation with collateral parties.
- Contract Renegotiations. Renegotiated contracts between 28 NH and VT municipalities in interstate compact with trash-to-power generation facility owner; mediated another agreement between 36 NH and VT utilities and municipalities; mediated renegotiation of six wood-plant PURPA contracts at the urging of the NH Public Utility Commission.
- Electric Generating Station. Five-party mediation among electric companies, coal owners, and mine operator re 16-year contract to use AZ coal in renovated NV plant for LA power.
- Electric Industry Restructuring. Mediated agreement on principals for MA electric industry restructuring among 18 participants, including five electric companies, independent power producers, environmentalists, and business, individual, and low-income consumer reps.
- Electric Rate Increase Application. Mediated the largest electric rate increase application in state history ($200 million annually) for Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.
- Manufactured Gas Plant (MGP) Sites. Mediated agreement on allocation of remediation costs at manufactured gas plant sites in Florida, New Hampshire, and Vermont.
- Teacher/Trainer/Process Design. Co-taught the Harvard Program on Negotiation (PON) Institute on alternative approaches to public utility rate-making and least cost planning; taught negotiation skills and industry restructuring to legal staff of major mid-Atlantic utility; sole private ADR provider on the Center for Public Resources (CPR) Committee to develop ADR procedures for resolving utility disputes.
- Water/Sewer. Settled protracted suit between private water utility and 4,000+ customers re rate fairness and reasonableness, capital investment needs, and future rate-setting process.
- Recognized internationally by Who's Who Legal: Mediation, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2022
- Distinguished Fellow, International Association of Mediators
- Named "Entertainment Industry Power Mediator" by Hollywood Reporter Esquire
- Elected Town Moderator, Concord, MA
- Member: ABA Sections on Dispute Resolution, International Law; Association for Conflict Resolution; FDIC, USEPA Superfund Pilot Program, and Library of Congress Copyright Arbitration Royalty panels
- Board Member: MA Bar Foundation, Schweitzer Fellowship, Jericho Road Project
- Lecturer on ADR at national/international forums: ABA, American Corporate Counsel Association, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, International Bar Association, World Economic Forum Mid-East North African Qatar Summit, Nigerian International Insurance Summit keynote, and in Canada, Hong Kong, Japan; published in ABA Dispute Resolution magazine
- Massachusetts Undersecretary, Economic Affairs; Assistant Secretary, Environmental Affairs
- Seven-year federal litigation legal practice
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1971
- M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1968
- A.B., Phi Beta Kappa, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1967
- "The tenacity, energy and diplomacy you brought to the negotiation allowed you to be successful where many earlier efforts had failed."
- COO of Major Company
- Civil Rights
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Engineering and Construction
- Entertainment and Sports
- Federal Law
- Governmental/Public Agency
- Health Care
- Indian Law
- Intellectual Property
- International & Cross-Border
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Professional Liability
- Real Property
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More