Eric Van Loon brings years of experience to every resolution. A full-time dispute resolution professional since 1989, he has more than 20,000 hours experience in 42 states and eight countries as a mediator, arbitrator, speaker, and trainer specializing in complex, multi-party, high-stakes disputes and is listed in "Best Lawyers in America
" for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Van Loon has resolved numerous franchise/dealer/manufacturer matters involving modest and large franchisors; and individual, group, and organizational franchisees. Issues have included encroachment, termination, chargebacks, quality assurance, reporting/documentation requirements, and expansion/ development commitments. Industries include automotive, health care, financial services, fast food, and hotels.
Eric Van Loon is also a frequent speaker on ADR at national and international forums, and has conducted a mock mediation at the annual meeting of the ABA Forum on Franchise Law.
- Automobile Dealer Encroachment. Disputes regarding add points and relocations. Issues include sales impact, market penetration, manufacturer marketing strategy, brand alignment, capital investments, and state statute applicability.
- Dealer Chargebacks. Dispute with automobile manufacturer relating to warranty repair and maintenance service provided to customers who purchased cars from other dealerships.
- Employee Purchases. Automobile manufacturer dispute with national-leader dealer regarding legitimacy and documentation of purchases under a price reduction program.
- Fast Food. Settled 30-site regional master franchisee dispute with franchisor regarding maintenance of quality standards, consistency of brand experience, product updates, accounting/reporting compliance, and fulfillment of franchise expansion requirements.
- Financial Services. Settled class action suit by 100+ franchisees against franchisor regarding profit-sharing on financial services product, including past payments and future practices.
- Franchise Purchase Denial. Dispute between automobile dealer and manufacturer regarding basis for denial, past performance at other dealerships, comparison of different manufacturer dealer approval criteria, and standards for agency and judicial review.
- Health Care Services. Settled dispute relating to franchisor assistance quality, past payment amounts due, and franchise termination terms. Issues included unequal treatment for franchisor-owned locations and markups on franchisor-negotiated-contract supply costs.
- Hotel. Developer dispute with hotel franchisor relating to quality standards associated with a prestige brand, allowable variations, and quality comparisons with comparable hotels.
- State Line. Encroachment dispute relating to a new dealership across a state line near an existing one. Issues included manufacturer requirement that dealer relocate in another state.
- Visiting Nurses. Dispute with franchisor-owner relating to division of profits, franchisee benefits, and financial investment versus business knowledge.