Eric Van Loon brings years of experience to every resolution. A full-time dispute resolution professional since 1989, he has more than 20,000 hours of experience in 42 states and eight countries as a mediator, arbitrator, speaker, and trainer specializing in complex, multi-party, high-stakes disputes and is listed in "Best Lawyers in America
" for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Van Loon has successfully mediated and arbitrated a wide variety of insurance-related claims including homeowner claims, professional liability, D&O, environmental remediation, a statewide class action, and multiple layers of insurance and reinsurance, including by London underwriters.
- Arbitration. Chaired three-member panel which resolved multiple coverage claims stemming from construction of the $400 million Detroit Lions Ford Stadium. Involved professional liability coverage for 20 design professionals, settlement without consent, unilateral policy amendment.
- Director and Officer. Multiple matters involving D&O coverage for CEOs, executives, and board members in a wide variety of business litigation.
- Environmental Coverage Under Disputed Policies. Multi-million dollar claim by company insured against trade association carrier regarding environmental damage under 25-year-old policies. Issues included policy existence and terms, claims handling, pollution exclusion, owned property, expected/intended versus sudden/accidental, other carrier partial payment.
- Fen-Phen. Multi-day co-mediation of 60+ party coverage coordination by diverse defendants.
- Health Care. Chaired three-arbitrator panel for two hospitals' $20+ million contract/statutory claim against a major insurer regarding claim-handling procedures and determinations.
- London Underwriters' Architect/Engineer Coverage on a $1.7 Billion Project. Resolved dozen+ claims totaling more than 1.5 times the face value of four-tier "wasting" policy. Claims arose from a major construction project with design professionals from multiple countries. Issues included broker representations, owner representations about project technology, claims handling, underlying claims merits, and shifting syndicate contributions through tiers.
- Multi-State Insurance Agency Dissolution. Emotional federal court dispute between multi-state insurance agency founders/software program creators/partners regarding insurance software ownership, clients, revenues, compensation packages, competence, and controls.
- Professional Liability Multiple Fields. Medical (failure to diagnose/treat accurately), legal (failure to protect client interest), accounting (failure to indicate accurate GAAS financials), and design professionals (architects/engineers in diverse types of construction disputes)
- Toxic Tort with Multiple Defendants. Eleven-party dispute among residential complex owners/ residents/architect/engineer/contractor/plumber/water tank seller/ producer/lining manufacturer re contaminated water supply. Issues re regulatory compliance, do-not-drink directives, policy existence, multiple carriers in different years, defunct business coverage, comparative negligence.
- Workmans Comp. Assisted state insurance agency in court-ordered rehabilitation to resolve litigation involving 3000-member statewide workers comp self-insurance program.