- Arbitration. Chaired three-member panel which resolved multiple coverage claims stemming from construction of the $400 million Detroit Lions Ford Stadium. Involved professional liability coverage for 20 design professionals, settlement without consent, unilateral policy amendment.
- Director and Officer. Multiple matters involving D&O coverage for CEOs, executives, and board members in a wide variety of business litigation.
- Environmental Coverage Under Disputed Policies. Multi-million dollar claim by company insured against trade association carrier regarding environmental damage under 25-year-old policies. Issues included policy existence and terms, claims handling, pollution exclusion, owned property, expected/intended versus sudden/accidental, other carrier partial payment.
- Fen-Phen. Multi-day co-mediation of 60+ party coverage coordination by diverse defendants.
- Health Care. Chaired three-arbitrator panel for two hospitals' $20+ million contract/statutory claim against a major insurer regarding claim-handling procedures and determinations.
- London Underwriters' Architect/Engineer Coverage on a $1.7 Billion Project. Resolved dozen+ claims totaling more than 1.5 times the face value of four-tier "wasting" policy. Claims arose from a major construction project with design professionals from multiple countries. Issues included broker representations, owner representations about project technology, claims handling, underlying claims merits, and shifting syndicate contributions through tiers.
- Multi-State Insurance Agency Dissolution. Emotional federal court dispute between multi-state insurance agency founders/software program creators/partners regarding insurance software ownership, clients, revenues, compensation packages, competence, and controls.
- Professional Liability Multiple Fields. Medical (failure to diagnose/treat accurately), legal (failure to protect client interest), accounting (failure to indicate accurate GAAS financials), and design professionals (architects/engineers in diverse types of construction disputes)
- Toxic Tort with Multiple Defendants. Eleven-party dispute among residential complex owners/ residents/architect/engineer/contractor/plumber/water tank seller/ producer/lining manufacturer re contaminated water supply. Issues re regulatory compliance, do-not-drink directives, policy existence, multiple carriers in different years, defunct business coverage, comparative negligence.
- Workmans Comp. Assisted state insurance agency in court-ordered rehabilitation to resolve litigation involving 3000-member statewide workers comp self-insurance program.
- Recognized internationally by Who's Who Legal: Mediation, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2022
- Distinguished Fellow, International Association of Mediators
- Named "Entertainment Industry Power Mediator" by Hollywood Reporter Esquire
- Elected Town Moderator, Concord, MA
- Member: ABA Sections on Dispute Resolution, International Law; Association for Conflict Resolution; FDIC, USEPA Superfund Pilot Program, and Library of Congress Copyright Arbitration Royalty panels
- Board Member: MA Bar Foundation, Schweitzer Fellowship, Jericho Road Project
- Lecturer on ADR at national/international forums: ABA, American Corporate Counsel Association, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, International Bar Association, World Economic Forum Mid-East North African Qatar Summit, Nigerian International Insurance Summit keynote, and in Canada, Hong Kong, Japan; published in ABA Dispute Resolution magazine
- Massachusetts Undersecretary, Economic Affairs; Assistant Secretary, Environmental Affairs
- Seven-year federal litigation legal practice
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1971
- M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1968
- A.B., Phi Beta Kappa, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1967
- "The tenacity, energy and diplomacy you brought to the negotiation allowed you to be successful where many earlier efforts had failed."
- COO of Major Company
- Civil Rights
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Engineering and Construction
- Entertainment and Sports
- Federal Law
- Governmental/Public Agency
- Health Care
- Indian Law
- Intellectual Property
- International & Cross-Border
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Professional Liability
- Real Property
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More