- Arbitration. Panelist in energy company's $20-million claim against developer/installer of integrated ERP software system. Chaired U.S. Copyright Office Panel which set first artist/record company royalty rates for Internet-streamed music. 30+ parties (webcasters, broadcasters, performers, record companies); 60+ witnesses; 41 hearing days; 135-page decision.
- Copyright, Trademark, Royalty: Resolved dispute between film company, the "star" of certain films, and second film company concerning copyright, trademark, and royalty rights. Issues included distribution rights, derivative works, willfulness of infringement, mark ownership, sequel titles, statutory and other measures of damages.
- Health Care Device. Settled intense litigation between manufacturers of competing health care devices alleging 30+ patent infringements, breach of confidentiality, employment termination conditions, and patent application fraud. Issues included technical innovations, design cosmetics, and relationships with specialized suppliers.
- Information Technology. Settled dispute between large multi-national corporation and information technology firm regarding licensing of specialized software, services, and materials. Issues included design specifications, data quality, and operation speed.
- Internet-Based Software System. Resolved dispute between software development/investment capital firm and entrepreneurial start-up over quality, completeness, and timeliness of prototype development of internet-based software system. Early mediation before extensive discovery addressed patent ownership/equity stake versus payment for services.
- Marketing Device. Settled patent holder/patent manufacturer infringement dispute re manufacturer development/sales of similar designs. Issues included international assignments in multiple nations, expert testimony on standard for infringement, payment for past services.
- Medical Institution Software Systems. Resolved dispute between large, nationwide software creator/installer and large multi-unit medical institution re performance under multi-year $28 million contract. Issues included multiple systems installation/implementation, system interface/integration, outsourcing IS function, and substantial performance versus material breach.
- Proprietary Risk Allocation Protocol. Settled dispute between partners in multi-state firm re proprietary system for risk allocation. Issues included applicability in different jurisdictions, revenues attributable to the system, ownership of various iterations, fixed payment v. royalties.
- Retail Product. Settled inventor/patent-holder federal court jury trial infringement suit against supplier/wholesaler. Issues included multiple "means" patent format, willfulness proof (including opinion letter validity), patent invalidation, "industry standard" royalties, indemnification.
- Software. Eight-figure settlement of software developer claim against acquiring company.
- Trademark. Multi-million dollar dispute between high-profile e-commerce start up and established retailer over similar name. Issues included nature of the mark, sparse/crowded field, national/regional presence, state/federal registration, domain name v. e-address, channel of trade ("bricks and mortar" v. e-commerce), "initial interest confusion," measures of damages.
- Recognized internationally by Who's Who Legal: Mediation, 2018
- Best Lawyers in America, 2014-2022
- Distinguished Fellow, International Association of Mediators
- Named "Entertainment Industry Power Mediator" by Hollywood Reporter Esquire
- Elected Town Moderator, Concord, MA
- Member: ABA Sections on Dispute Resolution, International Law; Association for Conflict Resolution; FDIC, USEPA Superfund Pilot Program, and Library of Congress Copyright Arbitration Royalty panels
- Board Member: MA Bar Foundation, Schweitzer Fellowship, Jericho Road Project
- Lecturer on ADR at national/international forums: ABA, American Corporate Counsel Association, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, International Bar Association, World Economic Forum Mid-East North African Qatar Summit, Nigerian International Insurance Summit keynote, and in Canada, Hong Kong, Japan; published in ABA Dispute Resolution magazine
- Massachusetts Undersecretary, Economic Affairs; Assistant Secretary, Environmental Affairs
- Seven-year federal litigation legal practice
- J.D., cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1971
- M.Sc., London School of Economics, 1968
- A.B., Phi Beta Kappa, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1967
- "The tenacity, energy and diplomacy you brought to the negotiation allowed you to be successful where many earlier efforts had failed."
- COO of Major Company
- Civil Rights
- Class Action/Mass Tort
- Engineering and Construction
- Entertainment and Sports
- Federal Law
- Governmental/Public Agency
- Health Care
- Indian Law
- Intellectual Property
- International & Cross-Border
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Professional Liability
- Real Property
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More