Eric Van Loon brings years of experience to every resolution. A full-time dispute resolution professional since 1989, he has more than 20,000 hours experience in 42 states and eight countries as a mediator, arbitrator, speaker, and trainer specializing in complex, multi-party, high-stakes disputes and is listed in "Best Lawyers in America
" for Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Van Loon has lived abroad, taught, and lectured internationally, and has resolved a wide range of disputes involving foreign citizens, companies, and transnational corporations. He earned his A.B. in International Relations and his Masters Degree at the London School of Economics. He addressed the World Economic Forum MENA conference on alternative dispute resolution in international business disputes, spoke to the International Bar Association on U.S. ADR practices, and keynoted the Nigerian International Insurance Summit. He has worked with dispute resolution organizations/professionals in the Middle East, Africa, Europe, and Asia, including China, Hong Kong, Nigeria, Qatar, Italy, and the UK.
Van Loon has worked in or visited: Western Europe (UK, the Netherlands, Sweden, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain), Eastern Europe (GDR, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Romania, Hungary, USSR), the Middle East (Israel, Jordan, Qatar), Asia (Japan, Hong Kong, China), Africa (Nigeria, Kenya, Gabon), Canada, and Latin America (Mexico, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Peru).
- Commodity Sales/U.S. Representative Company. Brazilian commodity production firm/U.S. representative company dispute re contractual exclusivity, requirements, good faith. Two strong-willed CEOs.
- Franchise. Settled U.S. franchisor/three-nation, 30-location franchisee dispute re quality maintenance, brand experience, product updates, reporting, and international expansion requirements.
- Insurance/Reinsurance. Settled dozens of suits by companies from multiple nations arising from $1.7 billion project insured and reinsured by London Insurance Group members.
- IP License. Arbitration panel member in seven-figure dispute between European multi-national corporation and large U.S. firm over entertainment IP license royalties. Issues include parallel arrangements with premier Hollywood producer/director, most-favored nation treatment.
- Music Royalties. Panelist in foreign-venue arbitration between music composer/publisher organization and national cable broadcaster re royalty payments for music used in broadcasting.
- Parent-Subsidiary. Arbitrated international parent company termination of U.S. subsidiary CEO. Issues of executive authority scope, regulatory communications, whistle-blowing.
- Recording Rights. Eight-figure dispute between U.S.-resident pop star and foreign national broadcasting company re right to use master tapes of live concerts for LP/CD production.
- Senior Executive Termination. $20+ million settlement in termination dispute between long-time, extremely-high-level U.S. executive and international entertainment industry conglomerate.
- Sexual Abuse of a Minor. Extremely emotional dispute between multi-national corporation and European employee whose infant daughter contracted gonorrhea, allegedly from household staff hired by the company for the employee on a multi-year foreign assignment.
- Software Fraud/Negligent Misrepresentation. Arbitration panelist in large European-owned energy company $30mm claim vs. U.S. software firm re complex internal information system.
- Trademark. Seven-figure dispute between high-profile U.S. e-commerce start-up and European firm entering U.S. market. Issues included nature of the mark, bricks/mortar vs. e-commerce.