Judge von Kann has served as a mediator, neutral case evaluator, special master, arbitrator, adjudicator, and hearing officer in a wide variety of cases involving state or federal government agencies. In addition, a broad range of tort, contract, commercial, and administrative cases have provided him with extensive experience in dealing with the kinds of claims, defenses, discovery issues, evidentiary issues, tactical considerations, and trial management issues which often arise in governmental as well as private litigation.
- Class Actions. Adjudication of hundreds of compensation claims filed by African-American farmers against the U.S. Department of Agriculture pursuant to a class action consent decree.
- Congressional Compliance. Hearing Officer in Office of Compliance cases brought against Members of Congress and others pursuant to the Congressional Accountability Act of 1995.
- Enforcement Actions. Mediation of claims brought by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration against a major pharmaceutical supplier under the Controlled Substances Act.
- Environmental. Mediation of cost recovery and allocation actions brought by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and state environmental agencies.
- False Claims Act. Mediation of False Claims Act litigation between the U.S. Department of Justice and various healthcare providers and government contractors.
- Federal Grants. Special Master to the Deputy Attorney General of the United States in resolution of disputes concerning an $8 billion federal grant program.
- Government Contractors. Co-mediation in Puerto Rico (with a Spanish-speaking mediator) of competing contractor claims for reimbursement by the Federal Emergency Management Agency of hurricane cleanup costs.
- Hazardous Waste. Hearing Officer in the hearing of compensation claims among the seven states comprising the Southeast Low-Level Radioactive Waste Compact.
- Healthcare. Mediation and neutral case evaluation of complex claims and counterclaims between the Health Care Financing Administration and private insurers under the Medicare As Secondary Payer Act.
- Intellectual Property. Appointed by Librarian of Congress to arbitration panel to set copyright royalty rates for use of recorded music by Internet webcasters.