During his 42 year career as a trial lawyer, judge, and ADR neutral, Judge von Kann has handled a wide variety of professional liability disputes, including dental, medical, legal, accounting, and broker malpractice; fee disputes; and partnership distributions. His experience with the subject matter, combined with his understanding of the sensitivities involved in these types of cases, make him particularly well suited to resolve complex professional liability disputes.
- Accounting Fees. Mediation of claim by non-profit service organization that it was entitled to a reduction of fees owed to outside accountant due to accountant’s allegedly poor performance
- Accounting Fraud. Arbitration of claim by large holding conglomerate against sellers of transportation company alleging that company’s accounting personnel fraudulently misrepresented the true financial condition of the company
- Accounting Malpractice. Mediation of international investor’s malpractice claim against large accounting firm for alleged failure to properly report business’s income and expenses
- Broker Liability. Arbitration of large investor’s claim that major Wall Street brokerage firm promised to provide investment advisory service of the highest order and then failed to do so
- Dental Malpractice. Arbitration of malpractice claim against dentist for alleged negligence in the extraction of teeth and placement of implants
- Law Firm Distributions. Arbitration of claim by departed partner that his former firm failed to pay him the partnership distributions to which he was entitled under firm’s Partnership Agreement
- Legal Fees. Mediation of client’s claim that its law firm’s bill should be substantially reduced due to firm’s allegedly inadequate preparation for, and conduct of, trial against former employee. When parties were unable to reach agreement on amount of the reduction, they appointed Judge von Kann as arbitrator with authority to determine a reduction figure between agreed minimum and maximum amounts.
- Legal Malpractice. Mediation of divorcing wife’s malpractice claim against her attorney for failure to discover substantial assets and income of ex-husband
- Legal Malpractice. Mediation of international financier’s claim that a large national law firm committed malpractice when it failed to obtain complete information concerning Swiss bank accounts of financier’s embezzling former employee
- Medical Malpractice. Arbitration of malpractice claim against residential care facility operated by large national company for alleged failure to properly care for elderly patient following a stroke
- Medical Malpractice. Mediation of wrongful death/malpractice claim against internist, radiologist, and emergency room physician for failure to properly diagnose virulent virus which killed patient in three days
- Trustee Liability. Mediation of claims by U.S. Department of Labor that trustees of union pension fund committed breaches of fiduciary duty and violations of ERISA when they invested large part of fund in purchase and costly renovation of Florida resort hotel