Hon. Carl J. West (Ret.) joined JAMS following eighteen years on the bench, spending the most recent ten years as a judge with the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s complex litigation panel. The complex litigation program, distinguished by its early judicial involvement and hands-on case management, promotes early identification of issues, focuses discovery to permit significant issues to be resolved, and encourages settlement. Judge West has held hundreds of settlement conferences for disputes that have spanned the legal spectrum, often working closely with parties to bring them together and foster resolution of even the most complex and difficult cases.
Judge West is highly regarded as a tech-savvy and hands-on innovator in complex case management, e-discovery, and civil procedure and is a frequent speaker and lecturer on these topics.
- Class action against health club/resort for alleged illegal setting of lifetime and ten-year health club memberships
- Hear class action claims resulting from sale of residential hotel units and alleged violation of Federal Land Sales Act, state statutory and common law
- Consumer class action alleging violation of multiple states’ consumer protection laws for consumer health product mislabeling
- Consumer class action involving false advertising claims associated with consumer food product labeling and marketing
- False advertising and fraud class action for false advertising by restaurant operations connected to misleading statements in menus
- Labor Code class action seeking overtime pay, expense reimbursement and Labor Code 203 penalties
- Mediated class action claim against large event promoter for wrongful overcharging of fees in violation of CA Business and Professionals Code §17200 &§17500
- Mediation and arbitration of class action matter related to employee misclassification
- Securities class action involving national franchisor and approximately 1300 investors
- Wage and hour class action matters