Hon. Carl J. West (Ret.) joined JAMS following eighteen years on the bench, spending the most recent ten years as a judge with the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s complex litigation panel. The complex litigation program, distinguished by its early judicial involvement and hands-on case management, promotes early identification of issues, focuses discovery to permit significant issues to be resolved, and encourages settlement. Judge West has held hundreds of settlement conferences for disputes that have spanned the legal spectrum, often working closely with parties to bring them together and foster resolution of even the most complex and difficult cases.
Judge West is highly regarded as a tech-savvy and hands-on innovator in complex case management, e-discovery, and civil procedure and is a frequent speaker and lecturer on these topics.
- Class action against health club/resort for alleged illegal setting of lifetime and ten-year health club memberships
- Hear class action claims resulting from sale of residential hotel units and alleged violation of Federal Land Sales Act, state statutory and common law
- Consumer class action alleging violation of multiple states’ consumer protection laws for consumer health product mislabeling
- Consumer class action involving false advertising claims associated with consumer food product labeling and marketing
- False advertising and fraud class action for false advertising by restaurant operations connected to misleading statements in menus
- Labor Code class action seeking overtime pay, expense reimbursement and Labor Code 203 penalties
- Mediated class action claim against large event promoter for wrongful overcharging of fees in violation of CA Business and Professionals Code §17200 &§17500
- Mediation and arbitration of class action matter related to employee misclassification
- Securities class action involving national franchisor and approximately 1300 investors
- Wage and hour class action matters
- Recognized as one of California's Top Rising Star Neutrals, Daily Journal, 2012
- Member, Sedona Conference Advisory Board, 2003-present
- Executive Committee, Litigation Section, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Board Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers-Los Angeles
- Board Member, Pasadena Bar Association
- Board Member, Polytechnic School, Pasadena, CA
- Board Member, Wellness Community-Foothills
- Board Member, Pasadena Rotary Club
- Speaker and lecturer on complex case management, e-discovery, and civil case procedure at numerous conferences, including the Sedona Conference, the ABA Litigation and Insurance section annual retreat, and the State Bar of California’s Antitrust and Unfair Competition seminar
- Judge, Los Angeles County Superior Court, 1996-2011
- Judge, Los Angeles County Municipal Court, 1994-1996
- Partner, Hahn & Hahn, 1980-1994
- Associate, Severson Werson Burke & Melchior, 1978-1980
- J.D., Loyola Law School, 1977
- B.A., Occidental College, 1973
- "[Judge West] was excellent. He stayed involved for weeks until the case was settled. He developed unique strategies to communicate to the parties the mutual benefits of settling under the terms proposed."
- "Exceptionally professional, extremely fair ... [and] firm, concise and timely in rulings"
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS, including investigation and research of JAMS neutrals. See More