Hon. Carl J. West (Ret.) joined JAMS following eighteen years on the bench, spending the most recent ten years as a judge with the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s complex litigation panel. The complex litigation program, distinguished by its early judicial involvement and hands-on case management, promotes early identification of issues, focuses discovery to permit significant issues to be resolved, and encourages settlement. Judge West has held hundreds of settlement conferences for disputes that have spanned the legal spectrum, often working closely with parties to bring them together and foster resolution of even the most complex and difficult cases.
Judge West is highly regarded as a tech-savvy and hands-on innovator in complex case management, e-discovery, and civil procedure and is a frequent speaker and lecturer on these topics.
- Arbitration of disability discrimination matter in violation of the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) involving automotive dealers
- Class action matter involving CDA/ADA claims against private and public entities
- Class action wage and hour dispute involving real estate management firm alleging misclassification of property managers
- Employment dispute involving wrongful termination, age discrimination and shareholder dispute
- Federal False Claims Act matter involving retaliatory discharge
- Harassment claims alleging hostile work environment and retaliation
- Labor Code class action seeking overtime pay, expense reimbursement and Labor Code 203 penalties
- Wage and hour class action dispute involving service industry workers
- Whistleblower dispute against media company and related entities