Hon. Carl J. West (Ret.) joined JAMS following eighteen years on the bench, spending the most recent ten years as a judge with the Los Angeles County Superior Court’s complex litigation panel. The complex litigation program, distinguished by its early judicial involvement and hands-on case management, promotes early identification of issues, focuses discovery to permit significant issues to be resolved, and encourages settlement. Judge West has held hundreds of settlement conferences for disputes that have spanned the legal spectrum, often working closely with parties to bring them together and foster resolution of even the most complex and difficult cases.
Judge West is highly regarded as a tech-savvy and hands-on innovator in complex case management, e-discovery, and civil procedure and is a frequent speaker and lecturer on these topics.
- Class action matter involving soil and groundwater contamination of former industrial sites
- Class Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) and state recovery action
- Contract claims arising from sale of electricity generation plant involving soil and groundwater contamination and remediation costs
- Dispute over contract retention under energy services contract between division of global leading energy company and community college district involving solar energy project installation \
- Environmental contamination case involving lease indemnities and common law claims involving tire sale and service facility
- Mediation of environmental liability case involving groundwater contamination and remediation
- Heard matter related to wind energy lease dispute
- Presided over many environmental contamination-related matters involving mass tort claims, remediation issues, cost recovery and contribution issues while on the bench